GFCI Replacement Problem

Old 04-09-11, 10:33 PM
GFCI Replacement Problem

I have a GFCI outlet in my master bathroom that had issues and recently replaced. On the load side there is 1 light switch and 2 standard receptacles. Before I replaced the GFCI it would not reset and I checked all the connections in each receptacle but couldn't find any problems. Now, after replacing the GFCI all the receptacles and switch get power but when the GFCI is tripped the receptacles and switch on the load side are still hot. Only the GFCI itself is dead. The GFCI receptacle has 2 black, 2 white and a ground wire. There was also one difference I noted between the old and new GFCI outlets. The old one only had 1 hole in for each screw to insert a wire and tighten it for a total of 4 places to insert wires. The new one has 2 per screw for a total of 8 places to put wires. Do I just have the GFCI miswired or would there be another problem I need to look into for the load components not going dead when the GFCI trips? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-11, 07:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like the wires going to the downstream receptacles are wired into the LINE terminals instead of the LOAD side. Load terminals provide the protection to items downstream.