Wiring a Shed/Workshop

Old 04-10-11, 12:33 PM
Wiring a Shed/Workshop

Hello all,

First time for a question from me.

I'm looking for advice for a wiring project i'm starting.
I have a shed 300 sqft in the backyard about 50 feet from the house that I want to move my woodworking equipment into. (table saw, drill press etc.)(220v)

I will be running #6 THNN/THWN from the shed to the house in 1 1/4' pvc underground. However I need to come up to the surface and penetrate the house and continue up thru the wall into the attic and across to the breaker box on the other side of the house/garage.

I will be opening the drywall to run the conduit so access is not an issue.

My question is, what type of conduit should I use in the wall and across the attic? This is an exterior wall with limited space to make turns where I penetrate into the attic. Also what do you think about dropping down to 1" conduit in the wall/attic with this wire size?

Thanks in advance.
Ken

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-11, 12:42 PM
Group Moderator
You could put a Jbox outside and transition to 6-3 NMb. No conduit needed. Probably no need to remove any sheet rock. Cut a 4" hole outside to fish the cable into then cover the hole with a 6X6 box. Run your conduit into the bottom of the box with a sweep ell.

Above assunes you are running to a subpanel. You can not run a separate 240v feed to shed if it already has a feed. That feed will need to be abadaoned.

Old 04-10-11, 12:48 PM
If you already have the wire you can use as small as 3/4 inch conduit. Understand that you may NOT have more than a total of 360 degrees of bends between access points.

Old 04-10-11, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the quick replys.

There is no power to the shed at this time.
There will be a sub panel in the shed.
I already have the wire and would have to open up the wall to drill the fire blocking anyway. (No room for a long bit in the attic.)

Once inside the wall, What conduit should I use? Metalic, Non Metalic Flex, Smurf?

Code here is the minimum Calif. code.

The cheaper the better.

Ken

Old 04-10-11, 01:57 PM
3/4 smurf would be the easiest to snake around inside a wall. Schedule 40 PVC would be my second choice. Your local code may have other requirements. The equipment grounding conductor may be as small as #10 copper for up to a 60 ampere circuit breaker on the feeder.