Still getting power to light with switch off

Old 04-11-11, 09:03 AM
Still getting power to light with switch off

Hi, My question concerns a lighting project on our cottage remodel. With the switch in the off position, I'm still getting 62 volts to the wire at the dining room light. Turn the switch on, the meter reads 120, or 121volts. I haven't done anything other than put a new switch in. I'm wondering if has been this way for the past 50 years when the place was built. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank-you.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-11, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
If you are using a digital volt meter you are reading ghost voltage. If you had used a more expensive digital meter or an analog meter, or a solenoid tester you would probably got 0 volts.

Ghost voltage is voltage with almost 0 amperage induced in to a wire by an adjacent wire.

Old 04-11-11, 10:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Everything that Ray said, plus be sure to turn the breaker off before replacing a fixture. Just turning the switch off is not a guarantee of safety when you are working on the circuit.

Old 04-11-11, 10:46 AM
Quick qestion....is your switch by chance a lighted handle switch? If so, yes you will get voltage. Your switch may also be failing.

Old 04-11-11, 12:42 PM
Lighted switch

Yes it is a lighted switch. That would be great if that was the fix. The meter I was using is a Fluke, don't know which model.it's still at the cottage. Thanks for all the suggestions, and any other ideas, please fire away.

Old 04-11-11, 01:02 PM
That is the problem then, although it should be 30-50 volts per Leviton...of course if it is an older switch 60+ may be right. Either way, a lighted switch has to let voltage through. this was a recent problem, here at a local hotel where they were using lighted switches for CFL lamps and they kept trying to light and the electrician found by getting shocked(mildly) that yes, they do let voltage through...