obsolete circuit breakers

Old 04-11-11, 04:48 PM
obsolete circuit breakers

I'm getting all the parts needed so I can get a permit and wire my garage. I'm planing on 100amp service. I have a Unicorn power socket that I'll be runing the power from. Unicorn is no longer in buisness. There is a sticker inside that says gte/sylvania qcp or qp breakers with an add on lug kit is a replacement breaker. I have yetto find either style breaker any ideas? (short of replaceing the socket)
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-11, 06:18 PM
There is a sticker inside that says gte/sylvania qcp or qp
GTE-SYLVANIA was a affiliated with zinsco, however, the breakers sound alot like siemens.

Last edited by stickshift; 04-12-11 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-11-11, 08:25 PM
There are several companies on the Internet that specialize in supplying obsolete circuit breakers. I suggest doing a search using the part numbers you have or search for obsolete circuit breakers.

Old 04-12-11, 06:35 AM
I do not know what lug kit you are referring to but you can still buy the Zinsco style breakers, but they are getting harder to get. That being said there is a generic brand that interchanges called UBI and depending on what amperage you need the original brand may be available as well. We still stock a few zinscos where I work and when we can't get that we use the alternate UBI. I think Connecticut Switch has the right to the UBI, but most electrical distributors can order these for you. The company we buy them from is Breakers Unlimited in Indiana, who only sells to distributors.

Old 04-12-11, 07:48 AM
Not to discourage you but after doing a little research I discovered the QP/QCP series was a feed through design. If that is correct you may not find anything but an old used one out there, if at all. Might be helpful if you could upload a pic of that Unicorn with the buss assembly.

Old 04-12-11, 01:40 PM
Just some additional information on Zinsco style breakers...the only ones made by UBI are replacements for the Q, QC, and QCAL, and these and R and RC series are about all you will find online, other than some of the old main breakers (QFB/QFP) etc.. These are just standard breakers that plug in and have one set of lugs. The series your box is listing would have lugs on both ends and so far today I have not found them anywhere for sale. Not that you won't but the unit you have is not common so a pic or pics MIGHT help with an option. If this box is not too big it might be better to replace with newer equipment. Although maybe not 100% kosher, maybe a different feed breaker might bu useable, along with a mounting plate. Just throwing options out there.

Old 04-12-11, 02:04 PM
Why do you want to re-use a zinsco panel to begin with? Haven't you heard about any of the problems about them? Lowe's has some pretty cheap GE panels if you don't have alot of cash.

Old 04-12-11, 07:15 PM
Replacing it makes the most sense as Justin points out, especially due to the fact that if it does indeed require a Zinsco feed through, whatever you find to fit will most likely be 20+ years old at best. Shame it does not take a Q or QC. I am guessing though that this is combo meter socket with breaker slots though right? Unicorn was primarily a socket and switch supplier kind of like Midwest. Might be a bit more involved if that is the case but one other thing worth mentioning...if that is a 200 amp rated main in that unit, only the plug in mains are still available and very few. We have been getting what we can find to sell folks with old General Switch (yes, they used some of these too) as well as T&B, Challenger, and Sylvania, on top of Zinsco panels. They will too soon be exhausted. Just a suggestion that maybe something better is out there all together. I still can't figure out why they would have a feed through breaker setup in one of those though....that is why I asked for a pic or two to see what is in that power socket.