another GFCI circuit troubleshooting

Old 04-11-11, 09:48 PM
another GFCI circuit troubleshooting

I see GFI issues happening a lot, since it got a bullet point on the very top sticky of this forum. My problem is that I am not sure what to do next.

I tripped up one of the outside outlets of my home. Figured, must be one of my bathroom's GFI. Fount it tripped in the downstairs bathroom. Pushing reset, it does not click, just soft back and forth. Went outside and starting with bathroom circuit breakers ended up flipping all of the breakers, no change. Now, I know better not to assume anything but…. is it possible that there is another GFi on the same circuit somewhere, that has tripped as well and that is the reason I don't have juice on my downstairs bathroom GFI outlet? Or do I need to test my circuit breakers? I am sure at a loss.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

So yea.... it fells pretty dumb, but could be a lesson for someone else, so I confess.
I completely forgot about my subpanel to which I moved that circuit years ago. It just donned on me about 15 minutes after I wrote my question.
Brings up another question though.
Should be the circuit breakers tested periodically and if yes, how often and how?
Thanks!

Last edited by Newbie; 04-11-11 at 10:17 PM. Reason: been an old goat with sign of Alzheimer’s
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-11, 10:16 PM
Group Moderator
Pushing reset, it does not click, just soft back and forth.
Open the receptacle and check on the line side for power using a test light, multimeter, or wiggy. If you have power remove the wires on the load side and try to reset. If it still won't reset replace the GFCI.

Old 04-12-11, 04:03 AM
I've seen as many as 3 GFI's in one line, no reason why the DIY just did it that way.
We lost power on a job because all the outside outlets stopped working. It took us two days to find out it was a GFI in a bathroom on the second floor on the back side of the house. It was controling all the outside outlets, all the outside lights, and two bathrooms. The Kitchen only had one GFI protected outlet and that was behind the ref. that was plugged into it. Not one outlet over the countertops had GFI, and the gararge also did not have one.
One thing that we have been doing for years is never install the GFI outlet outside, we install it in the last outlet in the line that's suppying power to it on the inside of the house. Far less fause trips from moisture.
If you have back stabed outlets there's going to be tripping at some point because of loose connections.

Old 04-12-11, 06:22 AM
Group Moderator
But if at the receptacle that will not reset and there is power on the line side then it is more likely a bad GFCI or the downstream load. If it doesn't reset with load removed and there is power the most likely IMO is a faulty GFCI.

I agree sometimes though there are multiple GFCIs and if no power on the line side that would be what you looked for first.

Old 04-12-11, 03:03 PM
Most gfis have a lockout device so when its guts go bad it will not reset.