Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How Close Can an Electric Water Heater be to Main Junction Box?

Old 04-13-11, 04:45 PM

I am trying to sell my home. A buyer brought his electrician out to have a look and they said my electric water heater was mounted too close to the main junction box.When the house was built in the 60s a gas water heater was placed here. So its always been in this location. 2 years ago I replaced the gas heater with an electric. The water supply and the 240V receptacle were already there. The heater is maybe 1 ft from the box. Is this something I will have to move? It would be a major task to move the heater, water supply and receptacle.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-11, 05:29 PM
Group Moderator
30" side to side but it doesn't have to be centered in that 30". You also need 36" clearance in front.

Old 04-14-11, 09:01 AM
Group Moderator
The measurements Ray posted is for your electrical panel and/or disconnect of the water heater. (Although inspectors give quite a bit of leeway with disconnects) If it is just the disconnect it would not be a big deal to move that. If it is the main panel, then move the heater. If it is just a junction box, then you do not have any problem.

Old 04-14-11, 09:57 AM
It sounds like I just need to move the heater an additional 2FT away from the main breaker panel. The only proble is that the heater is located in a carport storage room and there just isn't much room. I can move it, but then its directly in front of the door. It would probably be around 18" from the door opening. I don't think this would be a reasonable location. There is no large enough ceiling height in the attic, so I can't put it there.

You said something about a disconnect. Before I bought the house the dryer was located on the other side of the storage closet. I built a laundry room and moved it inside the house. The 240V receptacle remained, so when I replaced the gas heater with the electric, I simply moved the receptacle over to the other side of the closet near the heater. This receptacle feeds over to a 240V breaker. The receptacle is close to the main breaker panel. Is this ok?

Old 04-14-11, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
Old 04-14-11, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by jmhmatt View Post
You said something about a disconnect. Before I bought the house the dryer was located on the other side of the storage closet. I built a laundry room and moved it inside the house. The 240V receptacle remained, so when I replaced the gas heater with the electric, I simply moved the receptacle over to the other side of the closet near the heater. This receptacle feeds over to a 240V breaker. The receptacle is close to the main breaker panel. Is this ok?
The receptacle can be anywhere near the panel, that is not an issue. How about put the water heater where the old dryer was? You have the old circuit wires there all ready to go (I hope). All you need is to reroute the water lines.