Help wiring a shed

Old 04-16-11, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help wiring a shed

I have a 12X16 shed that already has a supply line wired to it by the electrician that did all the electrical for our in ground pool. The line is on a separate 20 amp breaker located in the main panel for the house. The shed is about 60ft from the house.

Ideally I'd like to install a GFCI outlet where the line enters the shed. Continue to right wall and install an outlet. From the right wall outlet I'd like to go up and out the roof to install an indoor/outdoor ceiling fan below the 10ft lean-to attached to the shed. I have patio furniture below the lean-to. Continuing from the right wall outlet I'd like to go to the front of the shed and install an outside outlet. From the outside outlet in the front I'd like to go up through a switch and mount a shop light from the ceiling.

What special supply considerations do I need for the ceiling fan install? Such as wiring, conduit, boxes etc.

Is the 20 amp breaker sufficient for this application?

And is it possible to daisy-chain from one outlet to another for this setup?

Or just tell me your thoughts.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-11, 12:48 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Edit: Kevyn, Is the yellow cable coming from the gray conduit in the picture the cable the electrician ran under ground to the shed? Is "NM-b" printed on it? If so that cable is unsafe, a code violation and, must be replaced.

They can be daisy chained. NM-b can be used inside. Use sunlight resistant UF-b outside. If it is less then 6 feet high at any point is must be sleeved in conduit to protect it.

NM-b on the inside may need to be protected, depending on local codes, if the interior wall are
not going to be sheathed.

You need a single pole disconnect where the cable enters the building. A 20 amp rated light switch can be used.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-17-11 at 09:04 AM. Reason: For Reasons of Safety.
Old 04-16-11, 10:18 PM
You need a single pole disconnect where the cable enters the building. A 20 amp rated light switch can be used.
Wouldn't the gfi count as that, because when you press "TEST" it kills the power?

Old 04-17-11, 07:48 AM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
Wouldn't the gfi count as that, because when you press "TEST" it kills the power?
My opinion is no. The AHJ may allow it to be a disconnect, but I wouldn't.

Old 04-17-11, 08:18 AM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
No a GFI can not be concidered a switch!
You will be right at the uper limint on that small a breaker. That's why I always suggest running a larger wire to a garage or shed and to have a min. of a two breaker box out there.
The lights should have been wired to a 15 amp. with 14-2 wire and the outlets needed a 20 amp with 12-2 wire.
No if someting trips you have to go all the way back into the house.

Old 04-17-11, 08:51 AM
The lights should have been wired to a 15 amp. with 14-2 wire and the outlets needed a 20 amp with 12-2 wire.
But he is stuck with what the electrician did. However if the picture shows the wiring that goes in to the shed It must be replaced.

Kevyn, Is the yellow cable coming from the gray conduit in the picture the cable the electrician ran under ground to the shed? Is "NM-b" printed on it? If so that cable is unsafe, a code violation and must be replaced.

Old 04-17-11, 10:22 PM
I just want this part clear is the PVC pipe came out of the ground if that the case it must use the THHN/THWN conductors you CAN NOT use the NM-B with underground runs at all due it is classifed as wet location so therefore you have to talk to your electrician whom they did the work on that place.

They should know by now and it allready written in the NEC code in last couple code cycles.

For the GFCI the answer is no it is NOT a disconnect purpose the single pole toggle switch will serve as disconnect switch otherwise a small subpanel will meet this code very easy. { a single MWBC a A/C pullout switch will serve this purpose as well or two pole switch both will meet the requirement easy.}

Merci.
Marc

Old 04-17-11, 11:01 PM
wired to it by the electrician that did all the electrical for our in ground pool.
If that is really NM-b run underground I'd also wonder how code compliant and safe the pool wiring is.

Old 04-18-11, 09:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
A GFCI can be used as a disconnect only if it is marked as "ON" and "OFF". If it only says "TEST" and "RESET" it cannot be used as a disconnect. Often the "motor rated" blank face GFCIs are rated disconnects.

Old 04-18-11, 03:42 PM
Since it all needs to be replaced, I would use 4#10 thhn/thwn as a 20A mwbc.

Old 04-18-11, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
Since it all needs to be replaced, I would use 4#10 thhn/thwn as a 20A mwbc.
The OP stated the shed is 60' away so he only needs #12.

Old 04-19-11, 03:32 AM
Justin.,

The run is not too bad and the OP can use standard #12 awg without issue.

But however let me direct to the OP how far is the conduit will be run by the pool area if over 10 feet you are fine but between 5 to 10 feet it must be in PVC conduit no UF cable in that spot and no conduit less than 5 feet to pool wall.

And burial depth will be at least 18 inch deep.

Merci,
Marc

Old 04-19-11, 01:53 PM
Sorry. I thought it was 100' from another thread. I would still reccomend a mwbc in case you want to plug in a fridge or something. It is just extra, but can be helpful.

Old 04-19-11, 02:04 PM
The poster made only one post and never came back. At this point it is the choir singing to the choir.