Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

cook top has two 30 amp breakers, but they are separated by two other breakers?

Old 04-17-11, 12:32 PM

Do I have a 240 Volt circuit for my cook top? A black marker on the panel says "cook top" and pointing to the two breakers and a metal clip is placed on the breakers indicating that the two breakers are ganged together. I am replacing the cook top with a new unit and it requires a 240 Volt - 40 Amp connection. Can I just replace the 30 Amp breakers with 40 Amp breakers? Thanks.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 04-17-11 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Removed Email for your protection from SPAM
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-11, 12:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You should not include your email address in your posts. Short answer, no you can't just change the breaker. The wiring from the breaker panel to the stove must meet the amperage of the breaker. Generally stove circuits are run with #8 or#6 wire, the latter being preferred for your possible upgrade situation. The breakers in your panel should be actually one breaker with a cap across the two handles to tie them together. Look on the wire casing to see what size wire is in the cable and let us know.

Old 04-17-11, 02:58 PM
Could it be a quad breaker?