Final Inspection Questions

Old 04-17-11, 09:11 PM
Final Inspection Questions

I'm renovating my house and doing a complete re-wiring. A while back I had the RI electrical inspection done and I'm almost finished with the re-wiring but not with the reno. in one room where there are pot lights, the newly drywalled ceiling has been taped but mudded only once and no primer or paint yet.
In the kitchen no cabinets installed.
Temp lights like the one in the picture

The permit for the electrical work will expire soon and I don't want to pay for an extension, so, once the re-wiring is completed, can I call for the Final Inspection with the kitchen as is and temp lights, or should all the reno work be finished?

Thank you very much,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-11, 08:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually final is done after everything is completely done and functional, so based on that I would say no you can't get inspected yet. That would be up to your inspector whether or not to grant a defacto extension.

Old 04-18-11, 05:41 PM
in one room where there are pot lights, the newly drywalled ceiling has been taped but mudded only once and no primer or paint yet.
Should you decide to go ahead and call for the final, the trims, lamps and all devices and plates will have to be installed regardless of whether the ceiling and walls are finished or not. I would wait till everything is finished.

Old 04-18-11, 07:17 PM
Thank you for replies
[message to short]

Old 04-19-11, 05:52 PM
If the inspector were to sign off on a final inspection of an installation that isn't truly ready for a final, it could come back to bite him to the extent of losing his job for reasons too numerous to go into here. It's like people who ask us to do a job that requires a permit but they don't want to pay for us to pull one. They're asking us to break the law for their benefit but they have nothing at risk. We do. It's our license.

Get past the cost. Do the right thing and pay to extend your permit. You won't raise a flag with your inspector to make him suspicious about your work and you'll sleep better.