Elec Question for Cooktop with Wall Oven Install

Old 04-18-11, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Elec Question for Cooktop with Wall Oven Install

I am installing a cooktop on top of a wall oven (in the same cabinet). The wall oven has conduit for the electrical wire, but the cooktop does not. Do i have to encase the cooktop wire in conduit? If so, I'd have to cut of the end plug, so how do I reattach it in the best manner? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-11, 04:23 PM
Just install an appropriate receptacle.

Old 04-18-11, 04:43 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The wall oven has conduit for the electrical wire, but the cooktop does not. Do i have to encase the cooktop wire in conduit? If so, I'd have to cut of the end plug, so how do I reattach it in the best manner? Thanks!
It is not clear from what you wrote if you have a separate circuit for the cooktop. Usually you would have a separate circuit and a receptacle either flush or surface mounted.

Is the cooktop new? Normally new is not sold with a cord set because sometimes you need a 4-wire cord set and sometimes a 3-wire cord set depending on existing wiring. So is this used? How was the previous cooktop wired.

Can you post some pictures? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 04-19-11, 11:11 AM
It is a brand new install with two separate circuits and receptacles. The wall oven is 220v and the cooktop is gas with 110v electrical (for sparking and lights). I am running both wires into an adjacent cabinet where the receptacles are placed (to the right of the wall oven/cooktop cabinet). So basically there is about 4 inches of wire from the cooktop that is exposed within the wall oven cabinet, as the wire egresses the cooktop unit on the back right hand corner. I'm at work, so I can't post pictures, but hopefully that helps.

My question really is whether the wall oven cabinet cavity would get so hot as to melt or damage the cooktop electrical wire - assuming the cooktop wire is not touching. I imagine it wouldn't get that hot, otherwise the wood in the cabinet would burn. Thanks!

Old 04-19-11, 11:19 AM
Heat shouldn't be a problem. Even if heat was a problem conduit wouldn't help but heat is not a problem. What you plan to do is fine.

The wall oven is 220v
Actually it is either 240v or 120/240v. If 120/240v do you have a four wire set up?

Old 04-19-11, 12:52 PM
Great - thanks!. That helps, as I couldn't see how the conduit would even attach to the cooktop. So what does the conduit do then?

Old 04-19-11, 12:59 PM
So what does the conduit do then?
When you use individual wires it protects then from physical damage plus tech reasons revolving around the AC EM field generated.

Old 04-19-11, 01:12 PM
ah ok - great thanks for the help - much appreciated!