Transformer in junction box

Old 04-18-11, 07:34 PM
Transformer in junction box

As I redo the wiring in my house I found a hot line leading to the chime (from the door bell). Inside the junction box is a bunch of wires but tossed in their is what I assume to be a transformer. From there the wires is low voltage one line goes to the chime, one goes to the door bell.

Is it OK for a low voltage transformer to be sitting in a metal 4x4 junction box along with a bunch of other wires? or is there a better way to secure/mount it?

The low voltage line is white and blue wires. It is not shielded in any conduits like the other wires. Is that OK, I assume it is not shielded because it is low voltage?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-11, 07:41 PM
The xfrmr should be threaded into the box. The hv wires should be in the box with the lv wires outside.

Old 04-18-11, 07:44 PM
My house (1920s) had the original doorbell transformer in a basement junction box mounted on a wooden backboard near the old meter box. That junction box contained 120V, 240V, and the secondary (16V) doorbell circuits. I am guessing this was not a code violation in the 1920s, and therefore it was grandfathered, but it would not be allowed for new work today.

So, when I rewired I installed a new transformer on the outside of the same junction box. The new transformer was designed with a set screw that is tightened to hold it in a 1/2" knockout, and the primary wires thread through the same knockout into the 120VAC box. The transformer's secondary is terminated outside the box. That meets current code.

Old 04-19-11, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
The xfrmr should be threaded into the box. The hv wires should be in the box with the lv wires outside.
I don't see anything on the transformer that could be threaded into a box. May be it's a real old one?

The HV in the box, LV outside of box, what about the actual transformer itself, should it be in or out of a box? I'll take a pic today and post it.

Old 04-19-11, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by MiamiCuse View Post
I don't see anything on the transformer that could be threaded into a box. May be it's a real old one?
Yes.

The HV in the box, LV outside of box, what about the actual transformer itself, should it be in or out of a box? I'll take a pic today and post it.
A new transformer sold for this purpose would have a set screw and bracket for mounting outside of the box. I couldn't find a good photo of the back of the Edwards 596 that I have, but here's their catalog info ... http://www.edwards-signals.com/files/c-590.pdf

Old 04-19-11, 09:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
what about the actual transformer itself, should it be in or out of a box? I'll take a pic today and post it.
The transformer should be outside the box.

Old 04-19-11, 11:23 AM
Thank you.

I am assuming the transformer came with the chime as a unit. There is no writing on that either as to what kind. May be I would need to buy a new chime that comes with a compatible transformer?

Old 04-19-11, 11:28 AM
Group Moderator
A standard chime transformer should work.

Exceptions would be if it is electronic and plays a song such as Dixie.

Old 04-19-11, 01:35 PM
Actually, I see alot of them with threads on them like a connector for rx.