sub-panel for pool --help?

Old 04-19-11, 08:34 PM
sub-panel for pool --help?

Hey All,
I have a few questions about sub panel and then pool wiring.
First ... I am a typical home owner with a little bit of knowledge..so go easy on me :-)
So I have purchased a pool heat pump. 140k BTU..requires a 60 amp breaker.

The existing pool wiring is pretty shabby...by sight.

The main panel is about 120 ft away from pool equip.

My thought was first on a sub panel in the basement. This puts the sub panel 75ft away from the main on the inside wall and then would have 30 ft to the pool equip.

I would wire a 100 amp sub with Alum. #2 hxxw in 3" pvc conduit? (not sure how big the conduit would have to be for AL... but i would use #2hot #2hot #4 neutral and #6 ground all in AL
So far so good??

The panel will require a 60 amp GCFI for heat 20 amp gcfi for pump and 20 amp gcfi for outlets around pool and low voltage lighting.

From new inside panel I would run appropriate gauge COPPER wire for each piece of equip. to a junction box near the pool....no splicing this is just to terminate conduit and then exit box with waterproof flex conduit to each piece of equipment.
all will have individual ground back to panel

All motors attached to bonding grid.

FYI I had one electrician tell me no way on aluminum and indoor sub panel.. Panel should be outside and all run in copper from main to poolside sub panel... I asked about just the main to subpanel in AL and he said NO WAY..
I have read the code book and tried to comprehend it to the best of my ability. I don't see any "no way" on AL for subs....just need to pay attention to what the cable is rated for...
am i right?

Thanks so much !!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-11, 09:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by patriot1 View Post
First ... I am a typical home owner with a little bit of knowledge..so go easy on me :-)
No problem, if you want to read the source material check out article 680 of the NEC from your library or city code department.

So I have purchased a pool heat pump. 140k BTU..requires a 60 amp breaker.
Do you have the other information from the nameplate? It should have two or three important numbers the FLA and the Min and max OCPD. It would also help to know this information about the filter pump motor. Is the filter 240V or 120V?

My thought was first on a sub panel in the basement. This puts the sub panel 75ft away from the main on the inside wall and then would have 30 ft to the pool equip.
I would definitely take the sub all the way out to the pool equipment, mounted to the pool shed well or to a pedestal. Not only is it better for voltage drop, but also puts all of the breaker disconnects in line-of-sight to the equipment and you don't have to consider derating or conduit fill.

I would wire a 100 amp sub with Alum. #2 hxxw in 3" pvc conduit?
#2 aluminum will only do up to 90A; you need at least #1 for 100A. 3" conduit is waaay too big, 1-1/2" would be plenty. You can use aluminum for the subpanel feeder as long as the ground is insulated with green insulation. All of the grounds from the panel to the equipment must be copper insulated green.

I don't see any "no way" on AL for subs.
Unless you have a local code prohibiting it, aluminum is allowed to the subpanel. A copper ground to the motors is required by 680.21(A)(1) and a couple other articles for lighting and other accessories. Suffice to say all pool equipment requires a #12 or larger green copper ground from the panel to the equipment. Aluminum would be allowed for the hots and neutrals as long as the terminals on the equipment is rated to accept it (CU/AL).

Old 04-21-11, 07:48 AM
I think all of the pool equipment needs to be bonded together with 8awg solid thhn.