Best way to kill a line going to an exhaust fan

Old 04-21-11, 07:44 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best way to kill a line going to an exhaust fan

I installed a new exhaust fan and ran a couple of 12-2 romex cables down the wall to a newly cut double j box that I installed. The box also contains the old wiring from the light and old fan which is a total of one hot wire that controlled both items. I plan to install one single switch (light) and one double switch (exhaust fan and attic fan). What is the most appropriate way to get rid of the wires going from the light to the exhaust fan? I tried to stuff them in the new fan with the new wires but they won't fit. Also trying to get inside the back of the light to disconnect them seems very involved. It looks pretty old too.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-11, 08:02 AM
Write abandoned on them and shove them back into the wall.

Old 04-21-11, 08:25 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
As long as the wiring is completely de-energized you can cut each end short in both boxes and push the remaining stub out into the wall cavity.

Old 04-21-11, 09:48 AM
K
Thanks for the replies. I am not sure I am making myself very clear. The dashed line represents the energized line that I want to end. I could just cut the cable at the ballast and install wire nuts, but I know that isn't safe or legal. Maybe I will try to mess with the ballast housing to disconnect inside.

Old 04-21-11, 11:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If the dashed line is "energized", then you need it. How else will the fixtures and switches get power? If you are deriving power from a different source, then, yes, go into the ballast box, dis engage the dashed wires, putting the ballast back to the new wiring, and THEN, cut the dashed wire too short to use again. Do the same at the fan.