ironman0974 outlet wires

Old 04-23-11, 01:34 PM
Exclamation ironman0974 outlet wires

I have 1 ground to green 1 white (common) on left side to light silver screw and 1 red wire on right side to brass screw and 1 black on right side above red of outlet i dont know why i have that red can you help?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-11, 02:40 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums. As is the case in most forums please do not hijack threads. It gets to confusing who answered what to whom. Use the New Thread button. I have moved you to your own thread.

The red wire is probably for switched half outlet. Is the link between the brass screws broken? Give us some background on why you are asking.

Tech note:
1 white (common) on left side to light silver screw
Not really common. It is the neutral in this case. The term common is usually used in relation to three way switching circuits. Note a wire can be white but not neutral but in this case it is the neutral.

Old 04-23-11, 04:22 PM
I dont think the tab should be broken because when i take out the fuse it shuts off the the hole sercuit 1 outlet 1 three-way switch and 1 outlet with a switch i thought you brake the tab when the outlet is connected to two fuses Is the red and black wire hot?
I'm asking this because the old outlets are different then the new ones i thought i could just copy the placement of the wire, not so.
Sorry about hijacking the thread i thought i was making a new one,thanks for moving me to my own thread

Old 04-23-11, 04:35 PM
Group Moderator
i thought you brake the tab when the outlet is connected to two fuses
Not always. If the neutral tab is still there it is a single circuit. One plug is hot and one is switched.

I'm asking this because the old outlets are different then the new ones i thought i could just copy the placement of the wire, not so.
Explain the differences in more detail.

Old 04-24-11, 07:40 AM
I looked at the old outlets they are the same as the new ones, but the switches are different,. the old switch has all the screws on one side. I installed new three way switch does not work like it should , the other switch with the outlet not a three way works fine. Hooked the outlet up the same way as the old one was. Could putting the wrong wire on the switch stop power to my outlets.

Old 04-24-11, 08:18 AM
Group Moderator
but the switches are different,. the old switch has all the screws on one side.
The position of the screws on a three way switch does not mean anything. The important thing is screw color. Most important is the dark colored common screw. The wire on the old switch common screw must go to the common on the new switch.

I installed new three way switch does not work like it should , the other switch with the outlet not a three way works fine.
If both switches work the same plugin on the receptacle both switches must be three ways for it to work correctly.

Could putting the wrong wire on the switch stop power to my outlets.
Yes. So could the wrong type of switch as mentioned above or if 3-way switches not putting the common on the common screw.

I looked at the old outlets they are the same as the new ones
The important thing to check is if any tabs between screws were removed.

Old 04-24-11, 01:45 PM
I found out that the red wire is common i change the red to common in the new switches and now they all work the way they should. Hooked the outlets up the same way as the old ones still no power so i went to the fuse panel found two fuses blown,change them and now one outlet works so i checked the fuse panel again found one more fuse blown when i replaced that fuse it blew right away so what could be my problem at the fuse panel do you think that fuse controls the outlet that does not work?

Old 04-24-11, 07:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The fuse that blew indicates a short in the wiring. You may have a ground touching a hot conductor or an improper connection.