Can I power my swimming pool pump using solar??

Old 04-23-11, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I power my swimming pool pump using solar??

I would like to know if anyone is familiar with the availability of using solar power to power the pump for my swimming pool? The pump runs a lot of the time and if it could be cost effective to power it with a solar I would like to look into it? Any ideas or input?? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-11, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
You may be able too if you had a bank of batteries and a low speed setting. Possible run off the batteries at night and charge with solar in the day. It will cost a small fortune though. Deep cycle batteries cost $100's and then the solar. Where will you store the batteries? You need a inverter, etc.. It may take 10 yrs to recoup the cost.

Now what you should do is inverst in a two speed pump. I run mine longer and use less electric. Its a whole formula. 13 amps hi vs 2 amps lo. 6 hours of pump time on low = 1 hour on high. So running my pump 24 hours on low, is like running 4 hours on hi. Get it.

What type of pool and pump do you have?

Do you save on chemicals and use BBB. (baking soda,borax,bleach) Its all I use. Cost me less the $100 for the yr in chemicals. Pool is 7000 gallons.

Here is a site I use and will help you if you want to save money and do less work on your pool. Click on the left tab when the page opens called pool school.

A Swimming Pool and Spa Care Forum

Mike NJ