Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Replaced regular socket with a GFCI outlet, now it pops off all the time!

Old 04-25-11, 03:04 PM

Hey all,
I am redoing our old bathroom which had a regular outlet by the sink... i replaced it with a new GFCI outlet. It works fine except that every couple of days it will pop off.

When I have a light on and the exhaust fan on for a while then turn the fan off, 1 out of every 20 times it will pop the GFCI outlet.

Obviously it sees enough of a fluxuation to consider it unsafe so it pops off... but other then putting the GFCI on it's own circuit s(which is not happening now because the walls are already completed) what can I do?

If there a small voltage regulator or something that I can put onto the GFCI line?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-11, 03:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are two things that come to mind. First, you might be getting some condensation build-up in one of the electrical boxes. Second, if it's related to just the switch you might have a loose wire or folded bare wire that is bumping into another wire when you push on the switch. Open up the box and make sure you don't have bare wires rubbing too close to exposed terminals on the devices.

Old 04-25-11, 09:58 PM
Only have the one GFCI box and the one set of switches, the set of switches is a 3 terminal on/off... 1 goes to the center light (connected inside the fan) 2nd is the lights over the vanity, 3rd is the exhaust fan itself.

I took them apart, no condensation, but the switch didnt blow around this time either... checked the wiring, all looks to be fine.
I'll have to wait until it pops again then pull them and look for condensation. Would it just be on the GFCI casing or where?

Old 04-26-11, 09:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Anywhere downstream from the LOAD terminals could cause a trip or the GFCI receptacle itself.

Old 04-26-11, 07:44 PM
When I have a light on and the exhaust fan on for a while then turn the fan off, 1 out of every 20 times it will pop the GFCI outlet.
The light and fan are not required to be GFI protected. You could wire these to the line side of the GFI rather than the load side and you just may solve your nuisance trip problem.

Old 04-26-11, 09:32 PM
The lights and fan are not Gfci protected,when the Gfci trips off the only thing that's turns off is the Gfci socket, not the lights and fan.

It did it again today, I looked at the outside of the Gfci and then pulled it out of the box to take a look at the wires, I didn't see any condensation on it.

Old 04-27-11, 07:01 PM
It's extremely difficult to diagnose a problem from afar when frequently information is left out. I think I'd try following the circuit back to the panel and checking all connections at each junction and in the panel. I'd pay particular attention to the neutral, but tighten everything.

Old 04-27-11, 07:18 PM
The panel is a very old fuse panel... i actually retightened everything a few weeks ago, as there were wires that were loose. There is no ground connected to anything, maybe this is the issue with it blowing?

Old 04-27-11, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Integraoligist View Post
The panel is a very old fuse panel... i actually retightened everything a few weeks ago, as there were wires that were loose. There is no ground connected to anything, maybe this is the issue with it blowing?
At the very least, the neutral should be grounded somewhere in the service, perhaps it's in the meter socket. Regardless, I believe it could possibly be a contributing factor if the ground is loose or dirty at the neutral connection or ground rod. I'd check out the ground next and if that doesn't help, try replacing the GFI device.