Make a double switch from a single switch.

Old 04-26-11, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Make a double switch from a single switch.

I have a single switch powering a can in the ceiling. My wife wants a ceiling fan instead, with lights, so I'm going to move the can, but I'll need an additional switch so I have control over lights and fan. Is there a diagram for this?

The house is only 5 years old, wiring in the attic is pretty easy to get to. I have a 25ft snake to run additional wiring as I'm certain I'm going to need it.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-11, 05:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Does power come in at the switch or the existing light?

Old 04-26-11, 11:17 PM
Welcome to the forums.

If your wife doesn't mind a couple of pull-chain switches hanging off the fan you can use the existing switch and wiring.

The wall switch powers both fan and lights. One pull chain turns on the lights, the other controls the fan.

Old 04-27-11, 07:06 AM
If I understand your question, you want to control fan with one switch and light with 2nd switch. Then you will probably need another 12-2 cable from light/fan to switch electrical box. Also most importantly, you will need a fan/light with two black wires to allow you to hook to each independently. I have no idea if they sell them that way.

Old 04-27-11, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by kevin13 View Post
If I understand your question, you want to control fan with one switch and light with 2nd switch. Then you will probably need another 12-2 cable from light/fan to switch electrical box.
Normally you would replace the 2-conductor cable with a 3-conductor cable. Less fill problems in the boxes.
Also most importantly, you will need a fan/light with two black wires to allow you to hook to each independently.
Actually it is black for the fan and blue or occasionally red for the light
I have no idea if they sell them that way.
That is the way they are almost always sold.

Old 04-27-11, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Normally you would replace the 2-conductor cable with a 3-conductor cable. Less fill problems in the boxes.
Yeah that^^^. Mind is in the gutter.

OP, maybe you can pull a 3 conductor cable with the old cable through the existing hole.

Old 04-27-11, 10:46 AM
OP, maybe you can pull a 3 conductor cable with the old cable through the existing hole.
Kevin, hate to zing you twice but no can do if the old cable was stapeled as required by code. Better to abandon in place or reuse for the new can light.

Old 04-28-11, 09:07 PM
Ok. so it sounds like this is doable. I'll have to pull the switch open and look up it's skirt. Once I know that, I"ll get back to you dudes...