Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How to wire a 230v Air Compressor to outside Main Disconnect

Old 04-27-11, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Any ideas??? I notice that the ground and neutral are in the same bar, will this be a problem??? Thanks a lot.

I just install it right now but the breaker keeps tripping every time I turn it on. It runs for about 1-2 seconds and the breaker trips. Any ideas???

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-11, 05:26 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What is the full load amp rating of the compressor? What size breaker are you using? What is the recommended breaker size on the compressor name plate. How are you wiring it. Is this a new compressor?

I notice that the ground and neutral are in the same bar, will this be a problem?
Perhaps from a code stand poinr but not functionally. The neutral is not used for 240v devices and ground is safety only.

Old 04-27-11, 05:37 PM
Well, its a brand new husky 60 gallon 230 volts 15amp 3.2 hp. I'm using a 30A double pole breaker with 10/2 gauge wire. I paired the cables in the pressure switch; white with white, black with black and bare with green. Now, on the Main Disconnect, I connected the white wire on one side of the breaker and the black one to the other side and bare with the neutral/ground bar. Is this ok?? Thanks for your replies.

Old 04-27-11, 06:28 PM
Nevermind, I got it. Its the air compressor's motor. Its getting hot causing to trip the breaker or the motor's temperature switch. I'm gonna return it and try another one. I'll let you guys know. Thanks.

Old 04-27-11, 07:53 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
on the Main Disconnect, I connected the white wire on one side of the breaker and the black one to the other side and bare with the neutral/ground bar.
Assuming the main disconnect is a breaker and is being used already as the service disconnect, how did you install your new wires? If you merely doubled them with the service wires in the same lug you made a mistake, that is not allowed unless the lug is rated for two wires of the sizes you have.