Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Diswasher / Garbage Disposal wiring a 14/3 & 14/2 Single Outlet

Old 04-28-11, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

This is a re-wire job...

Have a single Outlet box with

1) 14/3 wire running from Breaker - red has highest voltage.
2) 14/2 wire running from Switch box to Outlet to control the Garbage Disposal.

the bottom socket is to be hot at all times for the Dishwasher.
the top as controlled by the switch for the garbage disposal.

Thought i did it corretly, but Blew the circuit with the switch went to on position. Only thing i can think of is I Did Not Break the connection between the two positive terminals on the top and bottom sockets.

Question1) can I use a GFCI to wire this junction as it is under the sink, or does the GFCI protection preclude a backloop wire design for this configuration.

Question 2) does anybody have a detailed description or diagram of how to wiret his up and create a back-loop for the Garbage disposal.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-11, 01:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by jdmasneri View Post
1) 14/3 wire running from Breaker - red has highest voltage.
Does the 14/3 go to two separate breakers or to a double-pole breaker? Could you measure the voltage on the 14/3 from black to red, black to white, and red to white.

Only thing i can think of is I Did Not Break the connection between the two positive terminals on the top and bottom sockets.
That would could be one problem.

Question1) can I use a GFCI to wire this junction as it is under the sink, or does the GFCI protection preclude a backloop wire design for this configuration.
GFCI is not required for the disposal or dishwasher. GFCI receptacles cannot be wired with top and bottom separately, so that would be an issue. They also are not particularly useful on multiwire circuits which you may have depending on the answer of my first question.

Question 2) does anybody have a detailed description or diagram of how to wiret his up and create a back-loop for the Garbage disposal.
It is probably:

* wirenut all grounds together, including a pigtail to the receptacle and box if it is metal

* wirenut 14/3 red wire to the 14/2 white wire

* connect black wire from 14/2 to the top brass screw on the receptacle

* connect black wire from 14/3 to the bottom brass screw on the receptacle

* connect white wire from 14/3 to one of the silver screws on the receptacle

* remove tab on brass side of receptacle, leave tab intact on silver side of receptacle

Old 04-28-11, 02:06 PM
What happens if I connect the 14/3 red wire to the bottom brass screw on the receptacle and
connect the Black 14/3 to the white 14/2?

did not open the breaker panel, but it is a single switch breaker on the outside

Old 04-28-11, 02:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you're certain that this circuit is controlled by only one breaker, then you need to do the voltage tests before I can tell you the right way to do it. Are you comfortable removing the cover from the breaker panel to see if the red and black wires are both hooked up?

Old 04-28-11, 03:12 PM
Thank you very much ibpooks. I will look and see.

However, first, I will break the connection between the Brass receptacle screws and rewire. They took a picture prior to disassembling and taking out the old receptacle.

If no joy, will take off panel cover and get back with you on the Red & Black wires w.r.t. the Breaker.

Old 04-28-11, 03:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the panel to be sure anyway. One breaker should have only a black and white wire. The fact that a red wire exists suggests there's something more going on here.

Old 04-28-11, 04:47 PM
Just confirmed, shut of all breakers including the main. Took off panel, reviewed Breakers. Breakers 4 & 5 both have red wires. Breaker 5 is the dishwasher & GD, breaker 4 is the living room receptacle.

reset main breaker and breaker 5, The breaker has a red wire, the red wire is HOT. the black wire I just rechecked is NOT Hot.

In the original wiring the Red wire and the White Wire from the breaker was on the Dishwashers (constant on) bottom socket. The Black - Was connected to the 14/2 switch wire's white.

Old 04-29-11, 10:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by jdmasneri View Post
the black wire I just rechecked is NOT Hot.
So where does it come from? Can you see where the 14/3 cable enters the main panel and trace where the black wire goes?