Door Chimes

Old 04-28-11, 07:07 PM
Door Chimes

Not sure if door chime is an appropriate topic here or over in Electronic Alarms. But here goes.

I have a 15A line that runs to the kitchen, then it goes through a transformer and connects to a door chime. Before it connects to the door chime it splits into two additional L.V. lines. There two lines splits up and one runs to the east wing of the house, another one runs into the courtyard garden, and somehow the door bell at the main entrance is tied to one of these lines. I am not sure exactly where they run.

Several questions.

First, these L.V. lines are not concealed in rigid pipes like the rest of the lines, is this OK and safe?

Second, the other two alarms were removed when I remodeled the house, so the only one that works now is the one in the kitchen. If I install all three alarms back to where they used to be, I assume I need to get three identical alarms (so they would sound the same?). Each will come with it's own transformer, but I only need one because the other two will already have L.V. lines coming to them, right?

I see the stores now sell wireless chimes. I am debating do I just go with wireless, or do I stay with the already available runs of the lines? I have no problem with the current locations of the chimes. I do need more than one chime because it is a rather big house.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-11, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
First, these L.V. lines are not concealed in rigid pipes like the rest of the lines, is this OK and safe?
Yes. Rules on LV wiring are much more lax.

Second, the other two alarms were removed when I remodeled the house, so the only one that works now is the one in the kitchen.
I'm confused are these alarms or door chimes? If allarms what is their function?

I assume I need to get three identical alarms (so they would sound the same?
Your choice.

Each will come with it's own transformer,
Usually only if you buy the cheap contractor pack. Most chimes do not come with a transformer. For that many chimes you will need a transformer with higher than normal VA rating. Figuring 10va per chime that would mean 30va minimum. Your usual Big Box store cheap transformer is less then half that.

Not sure if door chime is an appropriate topic here or over in Electronic Alarms.
I am moving you to Electrical AC/DC forum on the assumption this is about door chimes though you mention an alarm in one paragraph..

Last edited by ray2047; 04-30-11 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-30-11, 03:51 PM
I meant to say door chimes. The "alarm" reference was a typo.

The existing condition is three door chimes wired together with one transformer. Although two of them have been removed due to them being damaged badly during demolition.

Old 04-30-11, 06:39 PM
I have three Angelo Bros. chimes on an Edwards 596 30VA transformer. They are not physically identical but the "works" are pretty much the same in each. They just "ding" for the side door and "ding dong" for the front door. Identical is probably easier than dealing with a new chime that has a unique sound or has higher current requirements.

I've never liked wireless because ... I have stood outside more than a couple of upstairs duplexes in the rain or cold ringing the wireless doorbell only to find out that "that only works sometimes" or "we haven't be able to figure out what's wrong with it" or "I think it needs a new battery" or "It worked great before our neighbors got one, but we took the battery out because we got tired of going to the door when they had guests."

Before cell phones I guess people threw pebbles at windows. So, I'd say, if you're getting a wireless doorbell, put your phone # next to the button. And make sure there aren't any large rocks near the door.