Wire a Single Pole Switch Loop Issue

Old 04-30-11, 09:51 AM
Wire a Single Pole Switch Loop Issue

Need some advice. I have a set of recessed lights that I have dasiy chained basically in a U shape, the power starts at one end and ends with a switch, this requires a Single Pole Switch Loop. I have it wired according to the directions in my wiring book, basically like this: Figure 5-34.—Single-pole switch circuit.

The switch does not work, I am baffled and don't know what is wrong. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-11, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
the power starts at one end and ends with a switch,
The switch is on the wrong end. The switch loop must be interrupt power to the first light in the daisy chain.

Plan "B": To put a switch loop off the last light you would need 3-conductor plus ground cable not 2-conductor.

Old 04-30-11, 10:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Agree with Ray, Running a 2 wire cable from power to switch, then to lights would be easier than running a 3 wire cable. Do the switch loop just as the illustration you saw said, but continue the lighting from the first fixture instead of wiring the power into the one on the other end.

Old 04-30-11, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
Your set up will not work. If you were only controlling one fixture you would be fine, but in your setup you need a switch leg going back to the other fixtures. Your options is to run a 3 wire cable (12/3 or 14/3) between your fixtures and connect the fixtures to the red. Or an easier way is you run your switch loop cable to the first fixture where the power comes in. Then the cables between the fixtures will be the switch leg.

That will teach me not to walk away from the computer mid-post. I'm 15 mins behind

Old 04-30-11, 10:29 AM
Very interesting, I will switch it around. THANKS for the reply!