Suspended Arial wire for a sub panel??

Old 04-30-11, 11:29 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suspended Arial wire for a sub panel??

During a storm a tree limb fell and pulled down the wire from the house to the garage.

The previous owner had two #4 aluminum wires running on a guy wire and was using the guy wire as a ground. From the main panel to where the wires entered the house he used #10 romex on a 30 amp breaker. It was a mess.

I donít have the money right now to go the underground route. I would like to rewire this with 6-3 with a ground (40 amp), but I canít find wire I think is suitable for the application (aerial). This wire will not be lying on the ground it will be suspended in the air. The 6-3 ďoutdoor wireĒ is flat and much bigger than the inside wire. Is there a type of wire in the 6-3 with a ground that is round and near the size of the indoor stuff for my application? Lowes didnít have any, is there somewhere I can order it from?

Old 04-30-11, 12:45 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You need quadruplex for the outside portion. It consists of three insulated wires wrapped around a bare messenger wire. The messenger is the ground. At the house and garage you will need to transistion to NM-b or THWN in conduit. You will probably have to get it from a dealer.

You could in a pinch use Sunlight Resistant 3-conductor UF-b and support it with a steel cable.

What size breaker supplies the cable?

Old 04-30-11, 01:56 PM
T
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
You need quadruplex for the outside portion. It consists of three insulated wires wrapped around a bare messenger wire. The messenger is the ground.
You mean mobile home feeder like this?
Mobile Home Feeder
It's all I could really find in a "Quadruplex"

What size breaker supplies the cable?
30 amp right now.

Old 04-30-11, 03:34 PM
No. It is for burial only. It does not have a messenger. Here is an example: Quadruplex Service Drop Aluminum Wire and Cable OneStopBuy.com

30 amp right now
For that you only need #10 copper or #8 aluminum assuming a distanceof 100 feet or less. There is a sub panel isn't there? General lighting and 120v receptacles can not be served by a 30a breaker. If this is 120v only 30a subpanel you would use triplex.

Old 04-30-11, 05:00 PM
Received 113 Votes on 100 Posts
Here is a link with a picture, 3 insulated and 1 bare, aerial quadruplex service drop. Same stuff Ray referenced, but with a picture.

http://www.southwire.com/ProductCata...prodcatsheet35

Old 04-30-11, 05:21 PM
T
No. It is for burial only. It does not have a messenger. Here is an example: Quadruplex Service Drop Aluminum Wire and Cable OneStopBuy.com

For that you only need #10 copper or #8 aluminum assuming a distanceof 100 feet or less. There is a sub panel isn't there? General lighting and 120v receptacles can not be served by a 30a breaker. If this is 120v only 30a subpanel you would use triplex.

I put a new 100 amp sub panel in because the cheap plastic one he put in broke.

I will someday dig a trench and go underground with the proper size cable. But until then I would like at least a 40. Itís a 70 foot run. It looks like I can use the CHOLA 6 XLP QUADRUPLEX for what I want?

CHOLA 6 XLP QUADRUPLEX SERVICE DROP QUADRUPLEX SERVICE DROP - OneStopBuy.com

At $1.16 a ft itís much less than anything I have found locally.

Old 04-30-11, 06:25 PM
At $1.16 a ft itís much less than anything I have found locally
Don't forget shipping.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: