GCFI outlets

Old 05-01-11, 11:34 AM
GCFI outlets

I am in the process of trying to sell my house which is about 50 years old. The buyers are demanding GCFI outlets be installed in the exterior, garage, both bathrooms, and the kitchen. In the inspectors report it was suggested that they be installed. It is not the law(code) for them to be installed in all of those places in a house being sold in the state of IL is it. I have already gone down $16,000 from my asking price....if it is not code that they must be installed in order for me to sell the house, then it is my feeling that since they are getting the house that much below the asking price(which due to the economy & the real estate market - was already LOW) they need to put them in themselves !!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-11, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
It is code now that GFCI receptacles (outlet) are required in the locations that you mentioned but as far a electrical code goes your home would be grandfathered in.
Now for some sticking points:
The home inspector suggested that they be put in, they can not make you do it.
The buyers lender can require that they be installed depending if their loan is FHA/VA or the like.
The buyers insurance company can also require them to be installed for them to insure the home.
Some cities require some simple upgrades to a home when they are sold such as CO/smoke detectors and GFCI's.

Your only looking at under $100 for the GFCI's if you were to install them your self. Just carefully watch what your are doing (Take a picture before you start each one) Are you willing to lose the sale?

BTW - Welcome to the forums!

Old 05-01-11, 01:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I completely agree with Tolyn. The inspector/buyers can't force you to do it, but for less than $100, is it really worth arguing? Then again, how much do they like the house? Do you think they will walk away if you say no?

Around here, to get a CO to sell the house you'll need GFI and smoke detectors anyway. You may want to call the local building office to check to see what's needed for the Certificate of Occupancy (CO).

In the kitchen, you probably only need one (maybe 2) GFI receptacles. The remaining can be connected to the "Load" side so they are protected.

I'd question the bedroom one though. There is no code (old or current) that requires GFI in bedrooms. (Current code requires AFCI protection, but I wouldn't worry about that).

Old 05-01-11, 02:43 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Zorfdt View Post
I'd question the bedroom one though. There is no code (old or current) that requires GFI in bedrooms. (Current code requires AFCI protection, but I wouldn't worry about that).
I think you may have misread. Nobody mentioned bedrooms.

Old 05-01-11, 02:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Items listed in the home inspection are negotiable items. You have the option not to have the requested changes made and the buyers can cancel the offer.

Old 05-01-11, 04:49 PM
Pcboss is correct, those items are negotiable, but I wouldn't let a buyer slip away for such a small item. It's definitely a buyer's market and they apparently know it. By the way, if the home inspector were really sharp he would have listed receptacles in the unfinished basement also be GFCI protected, assuming you have a basement.

Old 05-01-11, 06:45 PM
It is grandfathered, but I wouldn't want to lose a sale over $65. If there is no grounding conductor yo will need to install a no equip. ground sticker which comes with the unit.

Old 05-01-11, 07:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
I think you may have misread. Nobody mentioned bedrooms.
Whoops - thanks Tolyn. Need to get my glasses checked. I think I read bathrooms as bedrooms. Makes much more sense that way.