Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can I rewire current receptacles if the placeement dosn't meet current code?

Old 05-02-11, 03:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have an 1920s house with K&T wiring to all the receptacles on the main floor. I'm in the process of refinishing my basement and this is a good time to run new grounded wire to all the receptacles. The problem is, they're not always within 12 feet or 6 feet from a door. Will their placement be grandfathered or do I need to add extra receptacles to meet current code? The kitchen and bathroom have been updated already so those specific codes aren't an issue.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-11, 03:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
It depends a lot on your inspector. I would say that replacing K&T is considered a complete rewire job so you should follow modern spacing requirement.

Old 05-02-11, 03:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thanks, I suppose I should just ask my inspector since he's ultimately the one who passes it. This might be a question for him too, but I'd have a hard time supporting the wire within 8" of the current boxes. Would I have to cut them out and install old work boxes?

Old 05-02-11, 04:05 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
but I'd have a hard time supporting the wire within 8" of the current boxes.
Cables fished in walls do not need to be stapled inside the wall. Stapling is only needed in acessable areas

Would I have to cut them out and install old work boxes?
The easiest way to fish new cable is to cut out the old boxes so that is not a disadvantage but an advantage. Also the volume of retrofit boxes you would be putting in is probably greater then the old metal boxes you pull out so the new boxes are a bit easier to work with.

Old 05-03-11, 06:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
As long as you're going through the hassle of pulling all that wire, I would highly recommend adding receptacles to meet spacing requirements and potentially adding circuits where needed. You don't want to do it again anytime soon!

Old 05-03-11, 07:01 PM
As long as you're going through the hassle of pulling all that wire, I would highly recommend adding receptacles to meet spacing requirements and potentially adding circuits where needed. You don't want to do it again anytime soon!
I'm also sure you and the ahj do not want extension cords running everywhere.

Old 05-04-11, 07:36 PM
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
If you want to you can keep the existing outlet locations, adding new ones in between.

You might as well put in outlet boxes for the next room at the same time, in the wall between two rooms. It's up to you whether you want a separate circuit for every room versus have a separate circuit for a group of walls.

Old 05-05-11, 10:13 PM
You can check with your inspector, but since you've already got access to the internet, see if your town or city has their ordinances online. Mine does and it clearly states under Home Remodeling that all electrical needs to be brought up to latest code when opening a wall to expose the studs [no matter the age of the house] (same goes for door and window headers and structural support beams). So I would go with user Zorfdt on this one and add receptacles. Always keep in mind the future. You will do one of the following someday: sell your home or worst thing to ever think of: die (and your family or bank will need to sell the home). Hopefully you will sell your home someday and you don't need to look back on something like a small remodeling project that will cost you more money before you actually sell because you didn't do it right.