3-Way Motion Sensing Switch with Reg 3-Way Toggle

Old 05-03-11, 05:05 AM
3-Way Motion Sensing Switch with Reg 3-Way Toggle

Hello all.

I've put in regular 3-way switches in the past, but never with two (2) 3-way motion sensing switches in a run. My plan in my garage is to install a motion sensing switch on either side of my oversized garage door with a regular toggle switch on the wall by the access door. The run would look like this:
1. Hot into 3-way toggle switch
2. Run to first closest motion sensing switch
3. Load (Flor. Lights)
4. Second motion sensing switch on other side of garage

Goal: When I enter the garage through access door and simply flip the lights on they will and stay on (or possibly till the motion sensing switches time out when there isn't any movement and re-open the circuit turning the lights off -at least I'm hoping). Or when I enter the garage the motions would obviously turn on the lights.

Question: Does anyone know if this is possible?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-11, 09:48 AM
I may just wind up going with a room sensor by leviton. I just have never installed one. I'm hoping there will be directions. If anyone has any tips please let me know.

Old 05-03-11, 11:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would go with a room sensor instead of the motion sensing three-ways. Depending on the model you get you will probably need a neutral in the switch box so check your wiring before purchase.

Old 05-03-11, 12:13 PM
Can I wire them (one on either side of the garage door) as I would any other 3 way? Also with having the regular toggle in the run will it override the timed motion sensor switches or once the the motion sensor switches get power will the timer start and will turn off the run?

Old 05-03-11, 05:49 PM
Just a quick note. Many occupancy sensor manufacturers recommend using programmed start ballasts when controlling fluorescent lighting. Typical instant start ballasts generally have a reduced life when controlled by an occupancy sensor.

Old 05-03-11, 06:06 PM
Many occupancy sensor manufacturers recommend using programmed start ballasts when controlling fluorescent lighting. Typical instant start ballasts generally have a reduced life when controlled by an occupancy sensor.
Could you explain why that is, please?

Old 05-04-11, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by tinkeringtj View Post
Can I wire them (one on either side of the garage door) as I would any other 3 way? Also with having the regular toggle in the run will it override the timed motion sensor switches or once the the motion sensor switches get power will the timer start and will turn off the run?
Let me rephrase my second question a little. The run would contain two occupancy sensor switches and one 3-way toggle switch. If I turn on the lights by switching on the 3-way toggle will the occupancy switches start their timers when they don't sense any movement and turn off the lights after the timer runs out? Or since I switched on the 3-way toggle will my lights never turn off unless I manually switch back the 3-way toggle turning off the lights?

Old 05-04-11, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
Could you explain why that is, please?
Well, I was working from memory again, sorry, it's reduced lamp life and not reduced ballast life. The increased on-off cycles is hard on the lamps.

The programmed start ballast incorporates a starting method which is gentler on the lamp than either the rapid or instant start ballasts. For frequent-start applications, rapid start ballasts are traditionally specified with the promise of minimal lamp life reduction compared to instant start ballasts. Rapid start ballasts consume more energy than instant start, so there is a tradeoff in using them. Also, rapid start ballasts provide longer lamp life. The wide variety of design methodologies of rapid start ballasts among manufacturers, can actually lead to a reduction in lamp life as compared to instant start ballasts.
Universal Lighting Technologies | Literature | Programmed Start: The New Way to Start a Fluorescent Lamp

Old 05-04-11, 05:30 PM
Thanks, Joe. It is amazing the amount of work that goes into making lamps last longer.

Old 05-04-11, 08:44 PM
Well that settles it. I'm no longer going to install the occupancy switches but rather simple 3 way switches. I was going to have the motion/occupancy switches because of the one night that I took the garbage out to the garage and I had my hands full. Not to mention it was dark and about 35 degrees at 9:30.