Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Outdoor Lighting - minium height of conduit above ground ?

Old 05-04-11, 07:17 AM

Hi... I am in the process of running some outdoor outlets in my garden area and would like to know the minimum height that the conduit (plastic piping) must be above the ground/dirt level where I will be attaching my boxes. Any other additional advice will be welcome a well

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-11, 09:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The conduit can be any height above the ground you want. The boxes I would do at least 12" to the bottom of the box to avoid splash back from rain. I see you are in Florida so this point doesn't matter to you, but for the other listeners the box must be mounted above the typical snow level if your climate has accumulation.

Old 05-04-11, 12:16 PM
Thanks ... actually in CA (Sacramento area)

Thanks.. actually I am currently in CA at sons house where I am installing wiring --- will mount box at least 12 inches above ground..

Old 05-04-11, 01:04 PM
Keep the conduit out of an area prone to weedwacking as it could crack the conduit.

Old 05-04-11, 02:23 PM
If in an area subject to mechanical damage such as weed cutting use no less than schedule 80 PVC conduit. I personally would specify no less than intermediate weight steel (IMC) or rigid steel (RMC) conduit for such areas. Any PVC located where it will experience sunlight needs to be rated for ultraviolet light exposure. (UV inhibited.)

The boxes also need to be secure against movement. Sometimes this can be accomplished by use of a post buried in the ground to which the box is secured. If you use the metal conduit then you can often pour concrete around the conduit in a way that secures the box against movement.

Old 05-04-11, 04:00 PM
If you use the metal conduit then you can often pour concrete around the conduit in a way that secures the box against movement.
You need to have RMC conduits threaded into a hub and supported within 18'' for that.

Old 05-04-11, 04:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the post supports the box you would not need the threaded hubs or two conduits.