Moving outlet to other side of stud

Old 05-05-11, 05:35 AM
Moving outlet to other side of stud

As part of a new cabinet install I will need to move my stove 9". My new corner cabinet will now cover the outlet for my stove. I will need to move the outlet to the left by a minimum of 1". The outlet is presently on the right side of a stud, so if I can move it to the left side of the same stud I will have enough clearance. The top of the outlet is about 9" below the counter top.

Can I drill a hole in the stud and re route the wire to the left side of the stud? This would result in the outlet being lower than the current outlet since there is no slack in the line. The wire would go directly into the new box, with no splices or junction box. Is there any issue with moving the wire in this manner? Is there any problem with the new box being 12" above the floor?

Other than a bit of drywall work this seems to be the easiest way, since I cannot determine where the current box feed comes from.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-11, 05:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
First you need to find out if any other cables are in the same box and how they are routed. You may have issues if more than one cable is involved.

You may have clearance issues with the higher receptacle height. Is this a gas or electric stove?

Old 05-05-11, 05:59 AM
This is a gas stove. The outlet has a feed coming in, and then feeds an outlet above it for the under cabinet microwave. If I can move the lower outlet successfully the microwave outlet should be easy.

Old 05-05-11, 06:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as the circuit is grounded I do not see an issue with your plan.

If the instructions for the UC microwave called for a dedicated circuit you already have a code issue with the instructures not being followed. I doubt that sharing the circuit for the gas ignitor will cause a problem down the road but it would still be a code violation.

Old 05-05-11, 08:51 PM
I would agree with pcboss, and in addition many city's have ordinances that state if a wall has been opened to it's stud during any home upgrading, any wiring must be corrected to the latest building codes. For instance the city I live in has this statement under Remodeling:

[In addition to the building code requirements, once the walls are opened all exposed electric must be updated to conform to the current code requirements.]

That is if you want to be honest and that doesn't always mean the right way is the quickest or cheapest dollar.

Old 05-05-11, 09:15 PM
What part of my plan would not be up to code?

Old 05-05-11, 09:23 PM
Looks like I meet specs on the microwave installation. I may consider adding a new circuit though.

Required:
A 120 Volt, 60 Hz, AC only, 15- or 20-amp electrical supply
with a fuse or circuit breaker.
Recommended:
A time-delay fuse or time-delay circuit breaker.
A separate circuit serving only this microwave oven

Old 05-06-11, 05:30 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, your fine.

Old 05-06-11, 06:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by iceman536 View Post
What part of my plan would not be up to code?
I think someone was thinking you were doing a more extensive renovation instead of a few small holes to fish a cable.

Old 05-08-11, 09:55 AM
I guess I was confused on what would constitute opening up a wall. A 1' area? Floor to ceiling? And since the house was built in 1999 I wouldn't expect that many, if any, up to code circa 1999 items would be considered out of code circa 2011.