240 volt plug

Old 05-05-11, 10:03 AM
240 volt plug

Hello,

How do you go from a NEMA L14-30R male plug like this] to a female plug that will work with this thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-11, 10:14 AM
Group Moderator
Need more information. What is the twist lock plug from? (I'm guessing a generator) You want the 30 amp twist lock to plug into a 50 amp NEMA 10-50 range receptacle?

Old 05-05-11, 10:33 AM
The former twist lock is on a power generator and it has a female on it. The latter male is from a range stove, dishwasher etc.. So I need a male twist lock on one end of a power cord and a female on the other end that can accept the latter above plug.

But I suppose that wont work because I just looked at the circuit breaker and it is a 240 volt 50 amp and also a 30 amp for those appliances. OUCH, I had no idea they required that amount of current to work properly. The generator I have cannot supply that amount of electricity but can only do about 23 amps at 240 volts.

To change the question. I do have a sump pump that is 20 amps, 240 volts. Is there a way that I can go from a male twist lock to a fitting that would allow me to move the contacts that are for the pump circuit breaker to the fitting.

I just had a power outage and have livestock that needs to be watered. I don't want to be unprepared again. thank you

Old 05-05-11, 11:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you trying to run the pump from the generator? Does the pump have a plug on it or hardwired to a breaker or disconnect?

Old 05-05-11, 12:09 PM
I am trying to run the pump from the generator and it is connected to the circuit breaker right know

Old 05-05-11, 12:27 PM
Group Moderator
That must be one killer dishwasher! The range only uses 50 amps when all burners and the over are running at the same time.

With your sump pump question, I suggest converting it to a cord and plug configuration matching the twist lock cord you have. Then you can power it off the generator by pulling the cord and plugging it into the generator. Otherwise your looking at getting a transfer switch and other equipment.

Old 05-05-11, 12:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Okay the best thing to do is to get a transfer switch which will have a male inlet to receive a hookup cord from the generator. It also has switches that transfer between the line power and the generator power. They make them as small as one circuit if you only need to power the pump, or multiple circuits if you want to power other breakers as well.

Old 05-08-11, 03:12 PM
I will definitely look at that transfer switch but isn't there a fitting with a female NEMA 10-50 on one end and then a male NEMA L14-30R on the other. There has to be something like that somewhere but I just cannot find it to compare prices.

I have seen those plugs Ironhand and that will solve the sump pump problem. Thanks for the help all.

Old 05-08-11, 05:39 PM
You cannot find any NEMA 10 because it has been banned due to various safety issues. We now use a NEMA 14 configuration.

Old 05-09-11, 08:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by 951Michael View Post
isn't there a fitting with a female NEMA 10-50 on one end and then a male NEMA L14-30R on the other.
No, the 10- connectors are obsolete because they share a neutral and ground on one pin. The newer 14- connectors have separate neutral and grounds and are therefore incompatible with 10- connectors.