dbl switch w/GCFI

Old 05-06-11, 02:52 PM
dbl switch w/GCFI

Hi All rookie here - i'm installing a dbl switch in bathroom; 1 to pwr a vanity lite and the other to pwr fan/lite above shower so i need a GFCI w/it. pwr is coming in to box. how do i wire so that only 1 switch has the GFCI on it. To add the tab is broken on the dbl switch. is this ok? thx!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-11, 06:15 PM
Your easiest solution would be to just install a GCFI breaker in the panel for the circuit. It wouldn't hurt anything to have the other switch protected as well. Other than that you're probably going to have to replace the single box you have with a double box and install a GCFI plug and have that feed you switch.

I would certainly use the breaker, much simpler and the additional protection wouldn't cause any problems.

Old 05-09-11, 08:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Run the incoming power and neutral to the LINE terminals of the GFCI. The power and neutral to the fan should come off the LOAD terminals of the GFCI receptacle. The vanity light power and neutral should come off the LINE terminals.

Old 05-10-11, 01:44 PM
thanks all! I did manage to figure it out and it's now working. It's great to have a place to come here for advice and help. You all rock!