Need Help Identifying an AC Adapter

Old 05-08-11, 01:10 PM
Need Help Identifying an AC Adapter

My daughter has an electric golf cart that charged with an AC adopter that I have of course lost. This is one of those small, 1 seat type toy cars. it has a 6V battery and the end of the adapter has 4 prongs, 3 male and 1 female, similar to the wiring for a trailer hitch, that plug into the battery. Anyone know what this would be called and/or where I might be able to find one? Everything I can find online is just a single plug on the end.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-11, 06:09 PM
I'm afraid that you will need to do some exploratory surgery to determine how the battery charger is wired through the connector. Alternatively you might be able to do an Internet search using the name of the toy to find some more information.

I saw a website not too long ago that had hints and tips on these electric kiddie cars but I don't seem to have saved it. You might try a wide ranging search for electric vehicles.

Old 05-08-11, 07:10 PM
Try posting a picture. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html
Personally, I hate those connectors and if the warranty is out you're better off using spade terminals.

Old 05-08-11, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Do you know what type of six volt battery it is. If lead/acid not much problem but I suspect it is one of the more difficult to charge correctly ones because of the four pins. The extra pins may be for monitoring the charge. If you can fiigure out the type of battery you may be able to just use a 6 volt charger made for that type of battery and transplant the plug to the new charger.

Old 05-08-11, 07:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've worked on plenty of these vehicles. They run on sealed lead-acid batteries. I've never seen one with NiCd/NiMH or LiIon packs. The 6v ones are normally 4-6Ah, the 12v ones are normally 9-12Ah. The theory behind having oddball plugs on the chargers and batteries is to force you to buy them from that particular manufacturer. None of them are feedback chargers that use extra pins.

The flat-4 trailer plug is actually common to several smaller brands. They could be wired a couple ways, but the most common is (using an off the shelf trailer plug) white=ground and green=positive. The choice of a power supply is important. You can use any 6v 1A supply, but the catch is you can't leave it charging for more than 18 hours, because it will cook the battery. Most of the Power Wheels style ride-ons now come with a 'smart' charger that automatically switches to trickle mode when the battery is fully charged.

You can either go to Walmart and buy a Power Wheels brand charger for the single "A" size RED battery (this will be a smart charger), or buy a dual-voltage 1-1.5A motorcycle battery maintainer. Either way you would have to cut off the original plug and splice on the flat-4 trailer plug (you will most likely need the trailer side). As I said, the most common wiring uses the outer two pins, white negative and green positive. But you need to verify it either by looking at the plug on the battery or using a meter.

Old 05-08-11, 11:29 PM
Here's the website I previously mentioned. I don't know if it will help.

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/

Old 05-09-11, 06:04 AM
Group Moderator
This link from the site Furd posted may be helpful. Battery information from Battery University