Septic Pump- hookup

Old 05-11-11, 06:05 AM
Septic Pump- hookup

Hello: This may be a question for those that work in the well pump field.

To be brief on the first part: I have to lay new wire from the house to the septic pump. (original wire has deteriorated.) also, a new septic pump is installed. I will place thhn/thwn wire inside 3/4 pvc and mount an in use GFCI on a post next to the septic cason.

My issue is this: The plug coming from the pump has two cords, one of the cords is a straight three prong male plug. The other plug connects into this straight plug at a 90 degree angle. I want to plug this configuration into the GFCI. Why does this pump have two cords? Is there another way to hook up this pump to the GFCI without the 90 degree plug going into the straight plug? This appears to be a very awkward way to perform this hook up. I would like to resolve this to be as close to code as possible. THANK YOU.

I need some detailed info on this.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-11, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator
One plug is for the float that turns the pump on when the water rises, which should be the straight one. The one with the 90 powers the pump directly if it were pluged in by itself.

Mike NJ

Old 05-11-11, 07:36 PM
Can I separate these plugs and plug them into each outlet of the GFCI? Will they function correctly? Thanks

Old 05-11-11, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
No. The pump will never turn off if its not plugged into the float plug. They need to be plugged in together. If the float ever failed, then you can just plug in the pump plug in a emergency.

Mike NJ

Old 05-11-11, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
The float plug is actually a switch loop that turns the pump on and off. Power goes in through the float plug then through the float switch and back up to the pump plug.

Old 05-12-11, 03:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You may want to get the deepest in-use cover you can find.

Old 05-12-11, 05:51 PM
You'll probably have to special order a very deep in-use cover. Check these out from Intermatic.
Plastic Covers | Intermatic, Inc.