Swimming pool electric

Old 05-14-11, 10:50 AM
Swimming pool electric

Hi, I have a question. I am installing electric for a pool. The path from the service to the pool has a deck between it. Do i need to bury the cable under the deck? Or can I attach it to the house, then bury it after the deck?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-11, 12:55 PM
Group Moderator
Do i need to bury the cable under the deck?
You can not use cable outside for a pool because it has a bare ground. You will have to use conduit and an insulated ground wire. Gives of all the details of what you are doing and we can help you do it safely.

Old 05-14-11, 01:29 PM
The pool pump needs a line of sight disconnect and gfi protection.

Old 05-14-11, 01:58 PM
Basically, I have an above ground pool. I plan on running electrical PVC pipe from the house to where it terminates at the pool. Between the house and the pool I have to go under the deck to get to where the pool pump will be. I find it would be really hard to bury the pipe under the deck. Now if I dont have to bury the pipe under the deck, what kind of pipe should I use? What kind of supplies will i need for the area will the pump will be? Where does the convenience outlet go? Can they be on the same GFCB? or do I need to have two separate circuits? What about grounding? Do i need to drive a ground rod? I apologize for all the questions. I have never done a pool before. I know the basics of electric and can wire a house just fine and up to code. I don't want to have to call an electrician if I can do this myself.

Thank you.

Old 05-14-11, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
what kind of pipe should I use?
You wouldn't use pipe. You would use schedule 40 PVC conduit. I'd suggest fastening it to the underside of the deck then go underground. It will need to be buried 18" minimum.

Where does the convenience outlet go?
At least six feet from the pool.
2008/680.22.2

What kind of supplies will i need for the area will the pump will be?
Id the pump 120v or 240v? What is its amperage? What is the total distance.

do I need to have two separate circuits?
Depends on pump voltage and amperage.

Do i need to drive a ground rod?
No a ground rod is not needed but you need bonding of metal parts to the pump.

Old 05-14-11, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
Pipe = slang for conduit.

Old 05-14-11, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Pipe = slang for conduit.
I know that and I know you know that but I wanted to be sure the poster did.

Old 05-14-11, 07:17 PM
You could even buy a small subpanel and feed it with one 2 pole gfi breaker and the pump, receptacle, and if you want lights or something will all be gfi protected.

Old 05-14-11, 10:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by SEABEELCTRICIAN View Post
Basically, I have an above ground pool. I plan on running electrical PVC pipe from the house to where it terminates at the pool. Between the house and the pool I have to go under the deck to get to where the pool pump will be. I find it would be really hard to bury the pipe under the deck. Now if I dont have to bury the pipe under the deck, what kind of pipe should I use? What kind of supplies will i need for the area will the pump will be? Where does the convenience outlet go? Can they be on the same GFCB? or do I need to have two separate circuits? What about grounding? Do i need to drive a ground rod? I apologize for all the questions. I have never done a pool before. I know the basics of electric and can wire a house just fine and up to code. I don't want to have to call an electrician if I can do this myself.

Thank you.
If this is a new pool, you need to have what's called an "equipotential ground", which ties together all conductive and semiconductive parts and areas in and around the pool. Basically it makes sure the metal frame of the pool, the water, the piping, the ground/patio around the pool, and the pump motor are all at the same ground potential. This ensures any leakage current (say from a faulty pump seal or a radio dropped into the water) has a sufficient path to ground in order to trip the GFCI and keep you from getting electrocuted when you, say, touch the metal ladder or step off the ladder onto the ground.

Are you aware of this? If not, we'll go through exactly what it entails to meet code.