How do I do this?

Old 05-15-11, 01:48 PM
How do I do this?

I spent a lot of time on this extensive, not at all elementary, diagram. Please tell me how to get power and a switch to the new light fixture.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-11, 01:53 PM
And I'd like them on separate switches, by the way.

Old 05-15-11, 02:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Where will your other switch be located? If in the same box as the old, you can take off of the receptacle, run a cable to the light (black/black and white/white) and break the black at the switch. Just need more information
Very rudimentary drawing:

Old 05-15-11, 03:37 PM
Thanks so much for taking the time to draw that. The second (new) switch will be in the existing box...does this mean I have to lose that receptacle completely to get power to the new light? Is there a way I can get power to the outlet, then to the new light with a switch in between?

Old 05-15-11, 05:58 PM
You can always pulln the 2-gang box and install a 3-gang one. The feed to the light must be the same size as the feeder conductors. I also reccomend specification grade devices, as they last longer.

Old 05-15-11, 06:56 PM
Or use an over-under double switch on the "switch" side of the box. That will leave the receptacles in place and you can control the lights separately.

Old 05-16-11, 03:07 PM
If I use a 3 gang box with 2 single pole switches, can I continue the power from my receptacle up to my light and then add a drop leg to the switch? Is that the most practical way to go?

Would the same concept hold true for an over under switch, allowing me to keep my existing box? Is there a better way than to drop to the switch?

Old 05-16-11, 03:11 PM
Over under switch only requires one hot wire to power both lights. If you desire two different circuits, then you can break the tab on the switch and separate them, but it is best to keep it all together. Less cable to run, too.
A better way is to use the power from your receptacle, send a hot wire to the switch in the same box, and cable to your lights, using the neutrals at the receptacle and lights together.

Old 05-16-11, 07:36 PM
If you pull the box, it makes it easier to fish wires.