Electric Motor Blows Fuses

Old 05-15-11, 02:07 PM

My Coleman compressor keeps blowing my 20A curcuit breaker almost immediately when it starts. I started to remove the motor to test it and noticed that one of the 2 springs that seem to squeeze an assembly together was broken and lying on the bottom of the motor. Here is a photo showing the assembly missing the spring. The broken spring is on left side on the compressor housing. You can just see the end of the unbroken spring under the armature.

Here is the armature rotated so you can see the unbroken spring.

Would this affect starting? Any idea how get another spring? The motor is marked Magnetec S/N 8-1941163-01, 3450RPM 15A. (Couldn't find any links to parts suppliers for this motor on the net).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-11, 02:14 PM
Group Moderator
Not sure if that would effect starting but a motor repair shop would likely have the part you need. Magnetec is a pretty common brand.

What is the model number of the compressor?

Old 05-15-11, 03:35 PM
The springs are a counter to centrifugal force which is generated when the rotor (not armature) turns. The centrifugal force generated causes the disc to slide outward and pressing on a switch in the end bell of the motor which disconnects the starting winding at a specified speed. Without the second spring the starting winding is most likely disconnecting early.

It is doubtful that you will be able to find a suitable replacement spring but it will be a common item in a competent motor repair shop. The cost for repair should be fairly low and the shop will give the motor a complete testing to be certain that it has not sustained internal damage.

Old 05-16-11, 07:06 PM

It's a Coleman Powermate 27 Gal 5 HP Model # CL0502710. I would like to get the motor off w/o disconnecting the pump from the tank (that is, separate the motor from the pump and just bring in the motor) but looking at the manual I'm not sure that's possible.