Installing ceiling fan in moblie home

Old 05-15-11, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Installing ceiling fan in moblie home

Ok so I want I to put in a 30 inch or so ceiling fan in my bedroom. i have a ceiling light fixture that is attached to a old brown plastic J-box that is only held in place by 2 screws into the fiber like ceiling with a few support beams. How would I put a correct box in. once past the ceiling is a void then another ceiling that is like thin wood. Don't know if that's the original ceiling. How do I go about putting in a ceiling fan. I know the one that is in the living room someone cut a 1 foot square hole and put wood in to support the fan then plastered up the hole.

EDIT maybe something like this there has to be support beams up there

Amazon.com: Reiker Side Mount Ceiling Fan Box (55020): Home Improvement

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-11, 04:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 147 Posts
IMO you'd be best off attaching a piece of 3/4" plywood large enough to screw into 2 ceiling joists. If this is an older MH with a flat roof, the truss's consist of 1x2s laid flat [1 ceiling, 1 roof] with scrap paneling for gussets. You can then mount the box to the plywood. If you 45 the corners of the plywood square and either paint it to match the ceiling or stain/varnish it will look decent.

Old 05-15-11, 05:28 PM
heres 2 pics. the first shows the lamp and one of the support beams which I think also goes on the inside as there is a beam that is about 2 inchs thick I think 5 inchs from the lamo which is also were that white one is.

I need a hugger type ceiling fan as all the ones with downrods are 18 inchs which means i would hit my head on the lamp part. huggers are around 12 inchs long. I would need to put it where the lamp is unless there is a offset for the box to make the fan hang a inch lower to clear the beam.

Last edited by flirty1; 05-15-11 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-15-11, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is that uf cable?
Is this a travel trailer or a house type mobile home?

Old 05-15-11, 11:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No that's not UF, it's old NM (pre NM-B), which used to come in all sorts of colors before the 'gauge standard' color code. I'm more concerned with the fact that there's no box, unless it is part of the fixture.

Basically yeah, you'll have to either make a "medallion" to span two joists on the outside, or cut out a panel and attach a crossbar style Saf-T-Brace inside the ceiling then patch it.

As for huggers, your choices are severely limited nowadays, and most of them are Walmart crap that fails after a year or two. Even the 'tri-mount' fans aren't true huggers because they still hang from a canopy.

Old 05-16-11, 06:42 PM
The box is not shown but its there. its a brown plastic box that seams to be standard with trailers.Its a trailer type home that you find in common trailer parks I ordered a side mount fan box and will see what i got when i cut the ceiling open. in the living room they cut open a 1 foot square of the panel and put what looks like wood shims to support the fan. the old fan was a hugger and did not run. The fan bracket is screwed right into the wood they installed. They then put all the pieces back in and used mud and tape to hold the new pieces back in. In my moms room no evidence that they cut open the ceiling and its supported by a box.

Old 05-22-11, 01:40 PM
Ok so i ended up putting the fan in a seperate switch without the light kit installed. I was going to run new wire from the fan to the switch in the ceiling but decided to mount the box to the beam in the pictures from earlyer then run the cable in 3/8th inch alflex conduit on the surface then once it got to the wall with the switch it goes into the wall below the top plate to avoid drilling into it. The wire runs in conduit all the way to the metal 2 gang box. I used red plastic anti short bushings at each end of the conduit. I used a conduit clamp and each box to hold the alflex to the box. So it may not be code but at least i tried to make it safe. the conduit is held to the ceiling with 1 hole 3/8th inch conduit clamps.