Electrical Wiring/Circuit Question

Old 05-18-11, 02:36 PM
Electrical Wiring/Circuit Question

I am wiring an office I built inside a garage. I have the following questions:
1. Should I use 12/2 Romex because it is in the garage, or 14/2?
2. Along the same lines, should I use GFCI outlets?
3. Also, I believe I have only 1 available input. How does one determine the max numbers of outlets lights per circuit? I will have about 4-5 outlets and 2 lights/switches on one circuit (have to check whether is it 15 or 20amp). Any problems with this (I dont have much choice, garage is quite a distance from the house (detached), and running more wires would be a pain in the ass). Guidance is appreciated.
4. Are plastic gang boxes sufficient?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-11, 03:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by niehaoma View Post
1. Should I use 12/2 Romex because it is in the garage, or 14/2?
#12 for a 20A circuit, #14 for a 15A circuit.

2. Along the same lines, should I use GFCI outlets?
If the office is "finished" or above grade-level GFCI protection is not required. All other receptacles in the garage must have GFCI protection with a GFCI receptacle or breaker.

3. Also, I believe I have only 1 available input. How does one determine the max numbers of outlets lights per circuit?
Add up the total watts expected to be used at the same time. 20A circuit = 2400W max, 15A circuit = 1850W max. A few lights and basic hand tools should be okay on a single circuit.

4. Are plastic gang boxes sufficient?
Yes. Some jurisdictions may require the romex is protected running through garage stud bays with either conduit or sheathing (drywall, osb) on the walls. This rule varies depending on location.

Old 05-18-11, 03:12 PM
Thanks ibpooks. Much appreciated. Basically, the garage was split in half, with half being "garage" and the back half a finished office (drywall). To protect the drywall and the wiring in the transition, I put up 3/4" OSB on the garage side. So about 1 light/outlet will be on the garage side, with the rest in the office side. I figure if I use a metal gang for garage, and ground outlet there, all the office daisy chained outlets/switches will be connected to the same ground point via the Romex. Most of the outlets are for convenience, but only 2 of the 4 will see general everyday use, primarily with only computer equip.

Old 05-18-11, 03:44 PM
If I use pigtail method, does the splice get put inside or outside the gang box? In other words, can you have a Romex splice in the wall outside a gang box?

Old 05-18-11, 03:54 PM
All splices must be in approved boxes and all boxes must be permanently accessible.

Old 05-18-11, 03:56 PM
So inside the gang box, which makes sense from a safety/accessibility perspective. Thank you Furd.