Fountain with GFCI protection

Old 05-21-11, 02:38 PM
Question Fountain with GFCI protection

I'm planning on putting in a water fountain in my back yard and, of course, the pump will need electricity.
My plan is to connect to the "LOAD" terminals on the existing outdoor GFCI (it's an "end of the run" receptacle) and in that way give it GFCI protection.
I'm want to wire a combination switch (receptacle/switch) into the new "circuit" and have the receptacle controlled by the switch so I can turn it off when I'm not out there.

Sound OK?

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-11, 02:43 PM
Group Moderator
Yes sounds ok. Were you planig to use cable or conduit? Was the new device going to br mounted on a post?

Old 05-21-11, 02:51 PM
Going to run the UF through electrical PVC (the gray stuff) 18" down and mount it on a post anchored by cement in a cinder-block.

Not looking forward to digging that trench.

Thanks again

Old 05-21-11, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by dkpbxman View Post
Going to run the UF through electrical PVC (the gray stuff) 18" down and mount it on a post anchored by cement in a cinder-block.
If you use conduit you use THWN wire. If you use UF you would only use short lengths to protect it where it enters and leaves the ground. However certain types of water features require an insulated ground. The pros will know if this qualifies. I would go with THWN wires.

Going to run the UF through electrical PVC (the gray stuff) 18" .... plan is to connect to the "LOAD" terminals on the existing outdoor GFCI (it's an "end of the run" receptacle) and in that way give it GFCI protection.
Sice the run will be 20a or less and protected by a GFCI you only need to go down one foot.

Old 05-21-11, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by dkpbxman View Post
Unless prohibited locally, UF is rated for direct burial in many circumstances.

Otherwise put THHN/THWN in 3/4" or larger conduit.

If by fountain you mean a freestanding unit, I don't believe there are any specific "water hazard" requirements, but if it's a permanent pond, there is a distance requirement between water's edge and the receptacle, and code may require a single twist-lock at the pond. NEC Section 680?