Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Troubleshooting Electrical Signals from my Zircon Stud Finder

Old 05-22-11, 07:09 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm using a Zircon Multiscanner Pro SL and was able to find the wood studs to install a cabinet into the wall. However, the problem is electrical. The other side of the close is the kitchen and some equipment in the wall for the heater/ac. (It's an Apartment so I don't know everything is in the walls). So when I change the scanner to electrical mode the entire wall lights up as it's detecting electric. So not sure where the electric actually is as in case they actually ran electric through the studs?

Any advice on how to trace the wiring? I'm just trying to attache some screws into the stud.

Old 05-23-11, 01:59 AM
P
Sorry I was fat fingering so I'm correcting my original post:

I'm using a Zircon Multiscanner Pro SL and was able to find the wood studs to install a 300 pound cabinet (when filled) into the closet. However, the problem is electrical. The other side of the wall is the kitchen and some equipment in the wall for the heater/ac. (It's an Apartment so I don't know everything is in the walls). So when I change the scanner to electrical mode the entire wall lights up as it's detecting electric. So not sure where the electric actually is as in case they actually ran electric through the studs?

Any advice on how to trace the wiring? I'm just trying to attach some screws into the stud.

Old 05-23-11, 05:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You might be detecting a cable that runs horizontal between the studs. Try moving up or down a few inches and see if the signal changes.

Cables less than 1 1/4" from the face of the stud should be protected by metal plates. If you hit resistance do not push harder and go thru the plate into the cable.

Old 05-23-11, 09:37 AM
P
The signal does not seem to change if I go I went 3 feet to the left/right as well as if I went from the floorboard up to about 6ft. At 7 ft high the signal went away. So not sure if the the Zircon is just detecting anything that is very close? I ran a test to verify my scanner by placing the scanner over a bare wire and it seemed to work when it was close to the wire and turn off when I moved away. Not sure of the physics, but it almost appears like there's a lot of wiring in the walls so it's on all the time. That's really hard for me to believe!

Thanks on that advice. If it's a metal plate then that would be a good sign to check for.

Old 05-23-11, 11:16 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
It's an Apartment so I don't know everything is in the walls
Do you have the landlords permission to do this? Might ask if their maintenance will install it. It could save you a lot of expensive liability if something goes wrong..

Old 05-23-11, 11:29 AM
P
Originally Posted by ray2047
Do you have the landlords permission to do this? Might ask if their maintenance will install it. It could save you a lot of expensive liability if something goes wrong..
Good point as I had thought of that in the back of my mind. Perhaps it would be best to put it somewhere else to just not have to worry about issues that might affect my neighbors in case I do hit something. I will definitely consider that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: