reistance electric baseboard type heaters drom 30 yrs ago

Old 05-23-11, 09:02 PM
reistance electric baseboard type heaters drom 30 yrs ago

I have a shore house- bought 30 yrs ago- raised roof to add BDRM space and added electric heat to whole house which had been used bu previous owner only in summer- used a nice guy who got his education in electric in navy- After the electric heat was installed- the heat was weak- neighbor did same thing- same type baseboards -his heat was heat- spoke to electrician- he said neighbor probably had 220 mine were 110- I cked box my was 220 - told him -he said no problem he would use 20 amp double pole breakers- -everything was fine -we use place in colder times very infrequently- The nice man has passed away- I have been replacing wall thermostats for last 3 yrs as covers became misplaced- wired replacements as the old wall thermostats were wired- until last one last year- couldn't get old style wall thermostat where the 12-2 wires were fastened under screws- new one has 2 sides -line and load- and 2 wires on each side line is black and load is red (grds are pigtailed together) MY PROBLEM IS THERE ARE 3 SETS OF 12-2 WIRES IN THE WALL BOX AND ALL 3 ARE HOT- 2 of the 3 set of wires are controlled by the same 20 amp double pole breaker and the 3rd is controlled by another double pole breaker- I HAVE TIED THE 2 SETS ON THE ONE BREAKER TO ONE SET OF THERMOSTAT WIRES AND THE 3RD SET TO THE 2ND SET OF THERMOSTAT WIRES- TO SEE IF I CAN USE THE THERMOSTAT AS A SWITCH- THE BREAKERS IN BOX DON'T GET HOT OR TRIP- THE HEAT IN BASEBOARDS IS MINIMAL- I TOOK THE THERMOSTAT APART LAST YEAR AND WIRED THE NEW THERMOSTAT AS I SURMISED IT WOULD BE WIRED USING THE OLD THERMOSTAT WITH TERMINALS AS A GUIDE- - I GOT IMMEDIATE HEAT AND HOT- BUT COULDN'T SHUT IT OFF WHEN THE DIAL WAS LOWERED TO 50 DEGREES- - DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY HELP

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-11, 10:16 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry but I am having troubel following your post but in general:

If it is 240v to your heaters and you are using double pole thermostats then the red and black from the breaker go to the line side and the two wires from the heater go to the load side. You could have two heaters on the load side (amp rating permitting) but you would never have more then one set of wires from the breaker on the line side.

Old 05-24-11, 06:50 AM
thanks- I have 3 line wires in the wall box- all hot all the time- 2 of them are controlled by 1 breaker and the other is controlled by a 2nd breaker- Is there any way to control the units they relate to- I think the problem started when they were wired as 110 and then changed to 220-

Old 05-24-11, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
I think the problem started when they were wired as 110 and then changed to 220
This is the part of the post that is causing me the most confusion. Heaters are made for a specific voltage. Are you saying you originally had 240v heaters wired on 120v and the supply was changed to the correct voltage?

I have 3 line wires in the wall box- all hot all the time- 2 of them are controlled by 1 breaker and the other is controlled by a 2nd breaker
You shouldn't have if you mean they come from the breaker. Do you mean instead power goes from the breaker to the heater then from three heaters to this box?

Is this wiring cable or conduit? If cable is the cable two conductor (plus ground) or three conductor/(+g)?

I'm sorry if you have already written some of this but with no paragraphs and half of it all upper case letters I really just couldn't read your original post so I am asking step by step how they are wired.

Pictures may help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 05-24-11, 10:51 AM
yes to your 1st ? - the electrician ran 12-2 w/g from single pole breaker to --I don't know for other other thermostats- but he corrected the situation and for 30 yrs they worked- on this thermostat he must have run the 12-2 from double pole breaker to the baseboard and from there, to the thermostat and did on all 3 baseboards upstairs-with result I have ( when breakers are "on") 3 hot 12-2 220 v lines in the wall box on which a single thermostat (old type from 30 yrs ago) was attached- is there any answer to my problem? thanks for your help and sorry for my imprecision

Old 05-24-11, 10:58 AM
more

Forgot about your other ?s-i I haven't and don't know I can trace wires to know if from box or base heaters- I assumed they were from box but your question reminds me that the system did work for 30 yrs- so if they are from the 3 base heaters and both legs of each romex cable are 110v - how do I control them at thermostat

Old 05-24-11, 12:25 PM
Group Moderator
Measure the voltage between the black and white using a multimeter or test light. Is it 120v or is it 240v? Tell us the wiring at the heater. Is there one cable or two cables. If two cables does one of the cables measure either 120v or 240v between black and white?

I haven't and don't know I can trace wires to know if from box or base heaters-
If you don't have a multimeter I suggest you buy a cheap analog meter. In addition to reading voltage the ohms scale can be used to trace the cables.

Tech note: Analog multimeters are better at killing phantom voltage readings that can cause reading errors than cheap digital meters. How ever if you have a digital meter that is fine.

Old 05-24-11, 05:59 PM
Some possible scenarios:
Box fed by breaker, one line goes to next thermostat, one line goes to heater, one line comes from breaker.

Box fed from breaker, one line fed from breaker, one line goes to one heater, the other goes to another heater.