wiring a 30 amp outlet for RV

Old 05-24-11, 05:52 AM
wiring a 30 amp outlet for RV

30backI'm installing a 30 amp breaker and outlet to plug the RV into. I have the breaker in and the outlet will be right next to the panel in the garage. Seems easy enough to wire but when inserting the wire into the rear of the outlet (black/white/green)- does the wire just snap into the rear and then tighten screw or is there some trick to insuring it's in there? I see there is a torque setting. I might just have a pro come in and do it..

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-11, 08:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The receptacle should have a strip gauge icon showing how much insulation to remove from the wire, usually about 5/8". Fully insert the stripped end between the pressure plates. The insulated part should not go under the pressure plate. Tighten the screw to hand tight. It should hold the wire securely but not so tight that it crushes the copper.

The breaker should be single-pole 30A, the receptacle a NEMA 5-30R, and the wire #10 copper. Black to brass, white to silver, green/bare to ground. In the panel black to the breaker, white to the bar where the other whites are, ground to the bar where the other grounds are. Ground and neutral go to the same bar only in a main panel.

Old 05-24-11, 05:46 PM
Ben, travel trailers use a TT-30 configuration, while bigger ones use a 14-50. The TT-30 was around before nema configs, so it stuck.

Old 05-25-11, 05:48 AM
Thanks- When I look at my main panel (only panel I have)- it looks like there are white (neutral) and green wires going to the same buss. When I tie this new outlet in- do I run them to the same buss but different screws- or can they be tied to the same screw? Again- this is the main panel

Old 05-25-11, 06:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can use the same buss, but need to use a separate screw for each.