zinsco panel help

Old 05-25-11, 10:26 AM
zinsco panel help

Hello, i have a zinsco panel that has no main breaker and a 50amp breaker on top half of panel feeding 2 lugs at the bottom of panel. Is this a split bus panel and how does this panel work. Any information on this subject is greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-11, 10:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like it might be a split buss but a pic could confirm. You could also look at the wiring diagram that should be on a sticker in the panel.

A split buss panel allowed typically 6 double pole breakers for the larger loads like dryers, stoves etc. These breakers together were acting as a main breaker under the 6 throws of the hand rule. There was one that fed the lower buss where your loads like lighting and receptacles were fed.

Last edited by pcboss; 05-25-11 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-25-11, 01:00 PM
ty pcboss for your reply have another ? maybe u can help

trying to install 70amp subpanel in basement, there are 2 open slots in middle of main panel, however the metal tabs of the 70amp breaker i got do not line up with the bus bars. It looks like i would have to move some single breakers from bottom half of panel up to make this work. The question i have is if i do this this means the 70amp breaker will be on the bottom half of the panel which is being fed from a 50amp breaker i take it this will not work or do i have any other options to try to make this work. Thank u for ur help

Old 05-25-11, 01:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My guess based on what you've provided so far is that there is no legal or safe way to add a 70A subpanel to this obsolete Zinsco split-bus panel. What do you intend to power with this subpanel, basic lights and receptacles or a large tool or appliance?

Can you post some links to pictures of the panel? Here is a guide: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 05-25-11, 01:28 PM
thx ibpooks i intend to add just lights and basic outlets nothing that takes 220 just 120 devices, can i even do this though?

Old 05-25-11, 04:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are just adding some basic stuff there is no need for a 70 amp subpanel. How many items are you thinking about adding? How many circuits?

Old 05-25-11, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by sbudz View Post
Hello, i have a zinsco panel that has no main breaker and a 50amp breaker on top half of panel feeding 2 lugs at the bottom of panel. Is this a split bus panel and how does this panel work. Any information on this subject is greatly appreciated
Rather than a subpanel, I'd suggest cutting your losses now and replacing it with a main breaker copper bus panel with more circuits, thus avoiding the need for a subpanel. Please take a look at this website before you dump any money into that obsolete fire hazard of a panel.

Zinsco Sylvania Kearney Electrical Panel and Circuit Breaker Hazards, Failures, Inspection, Detection, Repair, Replacement - Sylvania Zinsco circuit breakers and panel hazards