metallic waterproof junction box?

Old 05-31-11, 09:03 AM
Question metallic waterproof junction box?

I have a std metallic junction box near the floor of my garage (8" off the floor). A couple of romex cables are routed from the main panel, though the wall into the garage into this junction box, then into that armored cable (I've heard it called Greenfield), up the wall and then distributed to different outlets, etc. I'm pretty sure that a box of this type isn't legal/safe to be so close to the floor of the garage. That being said, it's at the very back of my garage and won't encounter any rain, snow, etc. Still, what are my options to replace this box with something waterproof? I've seen the plastic waterproof junction boxes (I just googled it), but I'm not sure how to join the metallic cable housing to a non metallic box. Or in my case, do I need a metallic waterproof box? What are the pieces called that will join the Greenfield to the box itself? Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-11, 09:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Standard boxes are allowed inside an enclosed garage. Weather resistant boxes are not needed.

Old 05-31-11, 09:29 AM
Ok. Thanks for the response. I guess I was asking due to the fact that I'm gonna be using a pressure washer on the floor and I can see it getting wet. Just cover and protect it from getting wet with plastic, etc.?

Thanks!

Old 05-31-11, 09:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could look for a Nema 3R rated junction box that will keep the spray out of the box, but it will not be watertight is submerged.

The part you are asking about are called connectors.

Old 05-31-11, 10:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Another option would be to put a plastic bubble cover on the box to keep incident water spray off the box.