Does the code allow...

Old 06-01-11, 07:10 AM
Does the code allow...

Morning Everyone,

I am rewiring a bedroom at my house and I have run into an issue. I can't really access the finish work and I have to run the new cable to the outlets. There are 7 outlets in the room and I have basement access to each. They were previousily wired up from junction boxes, so each outlet has only one cable running to it. MY question is, can I use more than one junction box on the same circuit to avoid ripping apart the wall to connect outlet-to-outlet.

This is just an outlet circuit, no lights or switches on it. I included a diagram to illustrate my solution and basically wanted to know if the code would allowed it.

Thanks in advance,

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...unctionbox.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-11, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
No Pro...but as long as the fill rating isn't exceeded and the boxes are accessible...I don't think there's any limit on junction boxes.

Old 06-01-11, 07:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That would be fine as long as the boxes are accessible. Be sure to use blank covers on the boxes and connect all the gounds and to the box if metallic.

Old 06-01-11, 08:55 AM
Thanks Gunguy and PCboss.

Old 06-01-11, 09:07 AM
Is there a preferance of either plastic or metal junction boxes? I will probably buy new ones, and I will be able to access them from the basement. Other than in metal boxes you have the additional ground is there any reason to use one of the other?

Old 06-01-11, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
I don't think it matters with regular Romex type wire. Depending on the brand and how you will be mounting, the new construction nail in or screw in plastic might be easier and cheaper.

Old 06-01-11, 10:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would go with plastic so you don't need to deal with the extra grounding pigtail.