Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Range hood conversion to electrical outlet - what to do with extra set of wires?

Range hood conversion to electrical outlet - what to do with extra set of wires?

Old 06-01-11, 07:26 AM

Hi and thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

I am changing an above the range hood to an above the range microwave. To do so, I need to disconnect the current electrical and install a GFI outlet. I think I know what to do, but it would be great to receive some affirmation or other advice. Here's the scenario:

- The current hood is hard wired, with one set of black and white wires connected to the hood's light fixture and another set of black and white wires connected to the hood's fan. There are also ground wires (can't remember right now if it's one set or two).

- I believe I only need to use one of those sets of black and white wires to connect to the GFI outlet that I will be adding.

- For the remaining set of wires, do I simply put a wire nut and electrical tape on the individual wires and tuck them in the box? I suppose the alternative would be to install two outlets, but I don't need an extra one, as the outlet box will be in a cupboard and I just need one outlet for the microwave.

Is this installation as simple as connecting one GFI outlet and capping the extra wires? Also, if there are two ground wires, do I attach both of those to the metal outlet box?

Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-11, 07:58 AM
Group Moderator
- The current hood is hard wired, with one set of black and white wires connected to the hood's light fixture and another set of black and white wires connected to the hood's fan.
Are you sure you are looking in the right place. The range hood would (usually) have been fed by a single cable with one black and one white wire going into a junction box. That cable is what the receptacle connects to. What you are describing sounds like the fixture wires. You need to trace then to where they connect to the cable.

However the point may be moot if this isn't a dedicated circuit. Modern above the range microwaves usually by code and/or manufacturer's recommendation require a dedicated circuit.

Old 06-01-11, 10:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The microhood is going to require a new dedicated circuit. The old wiring can be tucked in the back of the new receptacle box and capped off.

You do not need GFI protection.

Old 06-01-11, 01:53 PM
ray2047 and pcboss,

Thank you for your responses. I took another good look at the setup, and I was duped by a pigtail. There is only one primary wire (with black, white and ground) coming out of the wall (don't know why they didn't install a receptacle here in the first place and tie the hood components into to a plug, but no worries). That wiring is then pigtailed to two offshoots each, which connect to the light and fan.

So, it looks like this will be easier than I thought. Next step is to determine if I have a dedicated circuit already or if I need to run new wiring here. Hopefully, it's the former!

Thank you again for your help, especially about the dedicated circuit, which is something I had forgotten to consider.

Old 06-01-11, 06:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would be very likely the old hood is on the kitchen lighting circuit.