Can I add a water heater switch to a bathroom?

Old 06-04-11, 03:02 PM
Can I add a water heater switch to a bathroom?

40 gallon electrical heater, 4500W 240V
Currently, I have a timer, but I would like to have a remote switch in the bathroom (and remove the timer). I plan to run a wire between the water heater and the bathroom, and turn the heater with a contactor with 24 VAC coil. Anything wrong with this approach?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-11, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
That should work.

Old 06-04-11, 03:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There's nothing wrong with the concept, but honestly I would recommend against it. Having lived in an apartment with a peak/offpeak meter, I would manually shut off the breaker when I left in the morning and turn it back on at night when I came home, so as not to use the expensive peak time power to heat the water. On more than a couple occasions I would forget to turn it back on and be greeted in the morning with a lukewarm to cold shower (since I didn't have a dishwasher, I kept the thermostat at almost the lowest setting so it wasn't very hot to begin with) and it would take an hour or more to reheat the tank. I finally broke down and bought a timer for it (of course this was illegal in my lease, so I made sure it was hidden, and I removed it when I moved out).. I honestly don't see why you don't want to keep the timer. The water doesn't heat instantly, so a switch in the bathroom is kind of silly IMO.

Old 06-05-11, 12:02 PM
Thank you for verifying it can be done. By the way, I don't expect water to heat up instantly. The water will be 90+ always.