Pulling phone wire thru conduit

Old 06-05-11, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pulling phone wire thru conduit

Hi: I am going to (attempt to) pull a phone cable, made for burying, thru 130' of 3/4 plastic conduit. (the cable has 4 pair of wires in it, hopefully that give you some idea of its size.)

What I would like to know is what is the proper way of splicing the cable to the pull string? Any and all tips will be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-11, 02:40 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Fold it over to form a loop and secure the loop with electrical tape. Make the part taped about 2". The smaller the loop and still get the string in the better. Tie the string tthrough the loop. Use plenty of pull lubricant.

Code note: The conduit must not contain any cables carrying voltages higher then the voltage rating of the phone cable.

Old 06-05-11, 03:28 PM
Thanks for your help, Ray.

I probably should have included this info: the O.D. of the cable is 7/16" inch, and has an aluminum shield under the outer covering. If I doubled the whole thing over I don't think it would fit in the 3/4 pipe.

Maybe I can peel the covering back a ways, and fold the covering with the aluminum shield back to form a loop . . . ?

Old 06-05-11, 03:53 PM
Tie the string in a knot about a foot from the end of the cable keep this knot small nothing fancy this knot is just to hold the string in place then starting towards the knot and working your way to the end of the cable put 6 or 7 half hitches on it, then tape the whole thing up with some decent electrical tape like 3M 33+ (the more you stretch the tape as you make your wraps the better it will hold) and you should be good to pull it in.

Old 06-05-11, 03:59 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Ideally you would use a cable "pulling grip" over the outside of the cable. Looks like a Chinese finger puzzle and the harder you pull the tighter it grips. Barring that you would tie a bowline in the end of the pulling rope and then strip off about a foot of the outer insulation and shield from the telephone cable. Take a round turn (one complete circle) of the cable conductors through the bowline and then tie several half hitches of the conductors around themselves. Tape this well to make a streamlined knot and then pull it through. Use plenty of lubricant as Ray suggested.

If you haven't already laid the conduit I strongly suggest that you upsize to a minimum of one inch. No "power" wiring of any sort should be in the same conduit as communications wiring.

Old 06-05-11, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 66 Posts
You could also strip the cable back about 4-6", cut off all but 4-6 wires, and follow Ray's advice.

Old 06-05-11, 04:37 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
Assuming the 3/4" conduit is already in the ground, I'd go with Furd's pulling grip suggestion. They aren't that expensive and can be used over and over.

Klein Wire-Mesh Grips | AceTool.com

Old 06-05-11, 05:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
You might have issues if the conduit has any 45 or 90 degree turns. You might be smaller than the minimum bend radius for that cable.

Old 06-05-11, 05:16 PM
Man you guys are great! How did mankind survive before the internet?

Is this "pulling finger" available at your average hardware store, or would I need to go to an electrical supply?

As for other comments:

-- This conduit will have no other wires in it.

-- Also, no turns, it is a straight run

Old 06-05-11, 06:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
The pulling finger is probably not at a hardware store. I think it will be expensive also.

Old 06-05-11, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 66 Posts
$12 at Big Orange: Klein Tools 1/2 in. Pulling Grip - KPS050SEN at The Home Depot Likely the same at Big Blue.

Old 06-07-11, 08:47 AM
UPDATE: I just finished and it went off with no problems.

I used both Dave's suggestion with the half hitches around the cable, and Furd's suggestion with the half hitches on the wires themselves and taped it up good and used plenty of lube.

I also fed the wire into the bell end, so there was no chance it could snag on the sharp ends of the conduit, although I did round them first as someone else suggested (on another thread I think).

I didn't have any help, so I tied the loose end of the string on a tree (the conduit was still laying on top of the ground) went to the other end and pushed the wire and pulled the conduit, lubing every foot or two and it worked great, probably took me an hour.

A big thanks to all you guys.

Left to my own devices, I'm sure I would've never make it.

Old 06-07-11, 09:08 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Ecelent. Thanks for letting us know.