Please help me solve a wiring mystery

Old 06-15-11, 07:51 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please help me solve a wiring mystery

I recently went to replace some of the 3 prong otlets in my house and I found that there was something quite mysterious (to me at least). All of the plugs that I examined had the black wires connected to the copper screws and the whites connected to the silver screws.. So far so good BUT there is a bare wire going from the green(ground) screw on the plug straight to the lowest silver screw so that it is connected along with one of the neutrals. Can anyone tell me why it would be wired like this? Should I duplicate it? Should I go back to 2 prong outlets or should I just leave it? Is it a major hazzard?

Old 06-15-11, 08:06 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
there is a bare wire going from the green(ground) screw on the plug straight to the lowest silver screw
Dangerous and non code compliant bootleg ground. Should be removed immediately. Receptacles must be replaced with ungrounded receptacles or GFCI receptacles marked No Equipment Ground.

Can anyone tell me why it would be wired like this?
Ignorance or to fool an inspector.

Old 06-15-11, 08:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
This might have been done to replace a lost neutral. As Ray said, this can be dangerous and should be removed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: