Utlity room had a 4 prong range receptacle

Old 06-11-11, 05:51 PM
Utlity room had a 4 prong range receptacle

Im a first time buyer who has just moved into a new house. My Utility room had a four prong range receptacle in it.

Im in the process of wiring a 4 prong wire receptacle but I have a problem sadly. Theres no earth wire.

Ive got the white and black and red wires wired.

When I took the old one off there was just a peice of bare wire on where the ground wire is supposed to go.

Any ideas on how I can ground the new receptacle?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-11, 06:54 PM
Group Moderator
Is this metal conduit or cable? Is the box metal? What size breaker?

Old 06-11-11, 07:10 PM
Its cable the box is metal and the breaker is 30amps

Old 06-11-11, 07:38 PM
Just ty-rap a #10 ground wire along the wire to the main panel. What is this to power in a utility room?

Old 06-11-11, 08:41 PM
You wrote the cable has white, red and black insulated conductors, does it also have a bare copper wire? Look closely because it may be folded back over the outside insulating jacket and held under the cable clamp.

If it does have a bare wire then you may connect a green "pigtail" to the metal box and to the equipment ground connection of the receptacle. Green pigtails with a self-tapping screw are available in the electrical aisle at any big box megamart homecenter. Ideally, the bare wire (if present) should be connected to the box with a self-tapping screw and a pigtail to the receptacle.

If you do not have a bare equipment grounding conductor contained in the cable then follow Justin's advice.

Old 06-12-11, 06:04 AM
The wire folded back over the wire under the clamp is not an approved grounding method. You must connect it to the box. The self-tapping screw must be a listed ground screw.

Old 06-12-11, 06:44 AM
When I took the old one off there was just a peice of bare wire on where the ground wire is supposed to go.
I'm confused. This might be the ground wire. Where does this piece of bare wire go, into the cable sheath? Is it a bare copper wire? If the circuit is wired with NM cable (romex) the ground wire will be bare copper. Is the receptacle actually a range receptacle (50 amp rated)?

Old 06-12-11, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by paulinespens View Post

Maybe I'm just not reading something correctly here. Isn't that the ground?

I'm wondering if the OP was expecting a green wire? The use of the words "earth wire" seem to indicate they may be used to different cables or color codes?

The box still needs to be grounded (I guess)...but thats not what he asked.

EDIT...Joe posted as I was typing..

Old 06-12-11, 08:04 AM
It was a piece of bare coppper wire.

I have wired a new 30amp dryer receptacle but there is no no ground wire.

There was a piece of metal copper in the old one (the range receptacle) that had been used as a ground wire.

Old 06-12-11, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
OK....it's still not clear what you have. At least to me.

With the receptacle completely removed...how many wires do you have coming in to the box from under the clamp? 3 or 4....?

Lets not talk about the old one...just what you have presently.

Sorry to sound obtuse...but you can see it...we can't.

Old 06-12-11, 08:56 AM
There was a piece of metal copper in the old one (the range receptacle) that had been used as a ground wire.
And what was this piece of copper wire connected to? If the circuit is 3 individual insulated conductors in conduit, the conduit is the ground and the piece of copper ground wire should have been attached to the metal box. This is assuming a flush receptacle in a box and not a surface mounted receptacle.

Old 06-12-11, 01:44 PM
There is 3 wires. White, Red and Black.

The piece of cooper ground wire was wired too the ground part of the recetacle. I don't really remember what else it was attached too as I was expecting too find 4 wires and not 3.

Old 06-12-11, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
If you can't verify ground then you would have to either add a ground or use an ungrounded receptacle and rewire the dryer for three wire according to the manufacturers instructions.

Have you taken the cover off the breaker box and verified that this is cable and there is no ground. If there is a ground at the breaker box then you probably have a broken ground wire.

Above assumes you are installing an electric dryer and the breaker at the breaker box is 30 amps.

Old 06-16-11, 11:23 AM
Thanks to everyone for there help. I got someone I know who is an elecrician too look at it. I did get most of the installtion correct.

Anyhows I have a working dryer.

Old 06-16-11, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
I did get most of the installtion correct
Glad you got it fixed but inquiring minds want to know what you did wrong and you never have explained the bare wire.