What conduit for outside wiring?

Old 06-12-11, 08:51 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What conduit for outside wiring?

I need to run a dedicated outlet for a pool pump/filter. It will come from the main panel and run along the inside joists and through the block exterior wall. I plan to then run in along the underside of a three season room. The underneath of this room is open to the elements. I will then drop it along one of the upright supports and then the outlet in weather proof box. I assume I will need conduit with UF in the outdoor area? My question is PVC or metal. My local code (Harford Co MD) refers to NEC 2008 as the law of the land but I cant seem to find what NEC requires as to conduit. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-12-11, 10:04 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I will need conduit with UF in the outdoor area?
Best practice is not to run cable in conduit except for short lengths to protect it. If doing conduit all the way use individual THWN wires. Additionally a pool would require an insulated ground for that portion outside so UF could not be used because it has a bare ground.

PVC will not rust. EMT will eventually rust.

Old 06-13-11, 10:32 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ekd4176 View Post
I need to run a dedicated outlet for a pool pump/filter.
Specifically what kind? The code is very detailed about requirements for pools.

I will then drop it along one of the upright supports and then the outlet in weather proof box.
So the pool receptacle is mounted to the deck and does not go underground or to a separate structure?

I assume I will need conduit with UF in the outdoor area? My question is PVC or metal.
Conduit, yes; UF, no. PVC or EMT (metal) would be acceptable. A type THWN insulated #12 copper green ground is required at minimum. There may be more requirements depending on the type of the pool and its position relative to the deck.

Old 06-13-11, 10:37 AM
E
Do I just use the THWN inside the conduit or all the way from the panel? Would a junction box inside the house connecting Romex to the THWN be the thing to do? Thanks

This is what is says specifically:
Note: Please be advised that an electrical permit is required for swimming pools capable of holding water in depth greater than 42 inches. The permanent wiring required is governed by Article 680 of the 2008 National Electrical Code, which states in part:

A receptacle that provides power for a water pump motor shall be permitted between 5 feet and 10 feet from the inside walls of the pool and shall be single and of the locking and grounding types and shall be protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter.

At least one 125 volt 15-20 amp receptacle on a general-purpose branch circuit shall be located a minimum of 10 feet from, and not more than 20 feet from, the inside wall of the pool.

All 125 volt receptacles located within 20 feet of the inside walls of the pool shall be protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter.

Last edited by ekd4176; 06-13-11 at 10:46 AM. Reason: updated info
Old 06-13-11, 11:00 AM
I would go with pvc due to the pool chemicals tending to be corrosive and the emt would go away quickly.

Old 06-13-11, 11:30 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Would a junction box inside the house connecting Romex to the THWN be the thing to do?
Yes, if running NM-b cable is simpler then conduit inside that is OK. Cable can be used inside because an insulated ground is not required indoors.You just need to transition to an insulated ground, conduit/THWN outside. You can either use a GFCI breaker or a GFCI receptacle.

Old 06-13-11, 11:57 AM
You can either use a GFCI breaker or a GFCI receptacle.
If you have to use a twistlock receptacle, you cannot use a gfci receptacle unless you find a locking one.

Old 06-13-11, 12:11 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ekd4176 View Post
Do I just use the THWN inside the conduit or all the way from the panel? Would a junction box inside the house connecting Romex to the THWN be the thing to do? Thanks
Generally when I do a pool I prefer to run the conduit all the way to the panel. As Ray said it is not required though; you can transition to a cable at a junction box inside the house.

This is what is says specifically:
That is all consistent with NEC 2008, however it strangely does not mention bonding which is a major requirement in that code. Is this an above-ground pool or in-ground? What is the construction of the pool (plastic, metal, concrete, etc) and what is the construction of the decking materials around the pool? Are there any metal objects near (within 10') the pool?

Old 06-13-11, 03:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 97 Posts
I did not think that Harford County allowed homeowners to pull an electrical permit.

Old 06-13-11, 03:50 PM
E
The pool will be an above ground and the deck will be wood/composite. That code excerpt was taken from my local code site and I cannot find the complete National code to refer to. I saw in my local code what looked like laying a 6 guage ground around the pool but it looked like it was for in ground pools with lighting. Does that sound right? Thanks to all for the replies.

Old 06-13-11, 03:56 PM
E
pcboss you are correct. I just read that after you wrote that reply. In yours or anyone's opinion how much would this job cost if all materials were supplied and put in place minus the connections at the panel, junction box and outlet. Thanks

Old 06-13-11, 05:21 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Your bigger problem may be in finding an electrician who will let you supply the materials and do some/most of the work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: