Fans

Old 06-13-11, 07:50 AM
Fans

EXHAUST FANS:
With the newer exhaust fans for baths that have low level lights; can I use the same wires to power them or do they need separate wiring for the lights and fan.

Can I wire three bathroom exhaust fans (two different baths) on the same breaker?

CEILING FANS:
Can I wire outlets and fans on the same breaker?

Can I wire a fan in the bedroom and a fan in a family room on the same breaker? At least in our area, code requires "arc" type breakers in bedrooms and was wondering if I need "arc" breakers as well for the fans since they would be controlled by a switch in the bedroom......

If I can wire the fans in a bedroom and family room together, I guess using an arc breaker would be the way to go(?).

Thanks for any insights.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-11, 08:59 AM
First of all, the circuit breakers are called "arc fault circuit interrupters" or AFCI for short.

With the newer exhaust fans for baths that have low level lights; can I use the same wires to power them or do they need separate wiring for the lights and fan.
If you want to control the night light function separately from the fan then you will need separate wiring. If the unit has a night light, fan and general light you will need two cables, one with two insulated wires and the other with three insulated wires. Each cable will also have an uninsulated equipment grounding conductor.

Can I wire three bathroom exhaust fans (two different baths) on the same breaker?
As long as the total load does not exceed the circuit AND the circuit is not one that has restrictions on use (bathroom receptacle or kitchen counter receptacles are the two major ones) then the answer is yes.

CEILING FANS:
If you mean general-purpose receptacles that are not otherwise required to be on dedicated circuits and ceiling fans for general air movement then the answer is yes.

Can I wire a fan in the bedroom and a fan in a family room on the same breaker? At least in our area, code requires "arc" type breakers in bedrooms and was wondering if I need "arc" breakers as well for the fans since they would be controlled by a switch in the bedroom......
Again, as long as the circuit is not dedicated or overloaded the answer is yes. If AFCI circuit breakers are only required in bedrooms in your area then ANY extension of ANY circuit into a bedroom is required to have AFCI protection. Current National Electrical Code mandates AFCI protection for all residential circuits except specific circuits that require ground fault circuit interruption (GFCI) only. Your local code may, or may not, have the same requirements.

Old 06-13-11, 09:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by flbuild View Post
You can use a 12-3 or 14-3 cable (black, red, white, bare) to power the light and fan with separate hot wires in the same cable.

As long as there are only lights and fans on the circuit (no receptacles).

In most rooms you can. In bathrooms, kitchens, dining room, and laundry you cannot.

At least in our area, code requires "arc" type breakers in bedrooms and was wondering if I need "arc" breakers as well for the fans since they would be controlled by a switch in the bedroom......
Yes, AFCI required.